Chocolate shocker

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MEL AND ZULU

Chocolate shocker

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

Well here i am, the voice of "dont give your dog chocolate" Hhhmmmmm

Easter must be a time when dogs get at the eggs and get poisoned the most.

While reading the forum on Sunday night i was eating an egg i got from my mum and put a quarter of the egg next to me while i was reading, fumbling around a few seconds later, the egg was gone and Stumpie my small 6kgs Malti poo was sitting by the chair licking his lips. :shock:

Well i almost had a heartattack and an hour later he was sick. My brain went into overdrive and i started to really worry that he had chocolate poisoning. :roll:

Read up on the net, big mistake caus says all kinds of nastys. :( Didnt know what i was supposed to be looking for caus my dogs dont get chocolate so have never had to worry about it before now.

And didnt get a wink of sleep all night caus i was watching him looking for signs that he was ill, which he wasnt in the end lucky enough.

That'll teach me to be carefull where i leave things in future. :oops:

Question is though, what should i have in my dog first aid kit if this should ever happen again. I read about charcoal but wasnt sure what to do with it or if it was a special kind?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Being sick is a good way and he done that for himself :lol:

I nearly lost Merlin when he managed to get a box of Roses off a shelf that was 7ft up. He ate the chocolates, most still in their wrappers, box and Christmas wrapping paper as well, there was no evidence so I didn't notice until the following day. Hubby was in hospital and I had got to a friend's for Christmas dinner then onto the hospital so was gone for 4 hours.

I rushed Merlin to the vets when I realised what had happened, luckily my vets is an emergency hospital and they operated right away because there was a blockage as well as chocolate poisoning. Merlin was in intensive care for 4 days and the vet bill, £2,500

Vets give dogs with chocolate poisoning charcoal so I now keep charcoal tablets in just in case although now I am on my own, I rarely have chocolate for them to get and when I do, it is locked away. Greyhounds and lurchers are notorious for getting into places that other dogs can't :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
MEL AND ZULU

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

Gee whizz looks like we had a luck escape then! :shock:

Dont worry, i wont put choc anywhere near them again after that! :shock:
Luckily Merlin was ok in the end.

I think Lurchers are prone to a sweet tooth. My family dogs since before i was even born were always lurchers caus my dad loves them. The one dog we had since she was 7 wks , Lucy lived till she was 18! We were all devastated when she was pts after a stroke. She was like a hoover when we were all young and seemed to favour maltessers. Then we kept a pup of hers Saxon, beautiful dogs but luckily she didnt pass down her sweet tooth to her! :lol:

So where did you get charcoal tabs from, vet or chemist?
And should it happen again, do you just give them a tablet or is there a dosage? Sorry for all the Q's but when it comes to the dogs i always worry and like to be prepared and know what to do in an emergency. :roll:
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

You can get charcoal dog biscuits too :D

Last year when our terrier jumped on the worktop and scarfed down half a bag of raisins, she had a pile of charcoal biscuits and I syringed a lot of olive oil into her mout afterwards. Luckily she's greedy so thought it was a treat.

No harm done. Sounds like you got away with it too.

Little devils, aren't they! :twisted:
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

By the time I realised what had happened Merlin was too far gon to eat charcoal biscuits. I got the charcoal tablets from a heath shop. and will give them to any of my dogs that has an upset tummy. The dosage should be on the packaging.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Tablets would certainly be easier to give.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
MEL AND ZULU

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

Hey theres two gr8 choices, i'll just get both to be on the safe side :lol:

You have to have eyes in the back of your head with dogs, they're just like kids :lol: