Newbie and boy do I need help

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Tippie

Newbie and boy do I need help

Post by Tippie »

Hi
I am new to this site and I am at my wits end. I have a beautiful 3yr Beagle called Betty-Boo. She is an absolute smasher. She is so incredibly laid back, a real softie, she has such a chilled nature. I have no problems with her with other dogs, other people, children, barking or baying in fact you could say she is perfect. But ( there is always a but) I cant get her to stop weeing and pooing through the night. I walk her 3 - 4 times daily, either in the woods or on the beach, when we are out she wees and poo's but she is so easily distracted. She will get ready for wee then its, mmmm that smells nice and she forgets what shes doing. So off we walk again until she remembers. This can be frustrating but its part of her and it doesn't bother me. But its at night that drives me mad, she sleeps in our room and she will wake me to go out, but I will take her out in the garden and she just wonders round having a good sniff. I'll bring her back in go back to bed and then in the morning when I get up I am greeted with pee and poo. I scrub the floor everyday with biological soap power but she still uses the same place. She isn't a greedy dog, which I understand for a beagle is unusual, I can put her food down in the morning and she just goes back to it through the day. I feed her dried food, and there is always water down for her. How often should I feed her, should I just feed her in the morning and then lift her food up or should I feed her twice a day but make sure its early enough for her to poo before bed.
I am really getting fed up, last night she got me up at 1.30am, 3.45am and then again at 4.30am. I usually get up anything between 7.30 and 8am. I love her to bits but she's driving me mad. Help me please.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

So often, the answer lies in the question :D

Feed her once or twice a day after exercise, never before. Trickle feeding equals trickle pooing. Once the digestion is working in the way a dog needs (they are not by design trickle feeders) you can anticipate the poo better.

Dried food = lots of drinking, hence the extra pees.

You'd be amazed how quickly this will settle once she has clear mealtimes.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I add water to my dogs dry food, find it much better for them and they don't gulp down water which does cause problems.

If feeding once a day feed early evenings if twice a day, feed when you get up and 12 hours later. You will then be able to work out when she poos and have her outside ready :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Mattie wrote:I add water to my dogs dry food, find it much better for them and they don't gulp down water which does cause problems.

:

Tell me about that! Many years ago, my first Dobe wolfed down her kibble and it went down the wrong throat. The ER vet gave her an expectorant plus some antibiotics to prevent pneumonia and sent us home. I can still see the piles of kibble all over the living floor! Yeah that was fun to clean up! The vet also suggested, and my regular vet seconded the motion, that putting a bit of water in the kibble would help and it did. Now I see that there is a special dog food food bowl with pylons (?)/columns/whatever in the bowl that will slow your dog's eating down! Looks like a round Lego block.
Wish that had been around in the early 90s! :!:
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!