Lennox lost his appeal

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

Lennox lost his appeal

Post by thepennywhistle »

Victoria's tweet as of this morning:

ItsMeOrTheDogVictoria Stilwell: I've now heard that @SaveLennox lost his appeal and is to be put to sleep. Shame on you Belfast CC. Shame on #Peter Tallack, may it haunt you.

6 hours agoFavoriteRetweetReply
dontpugme

Re: Lennox lost his appeal

Post by dontpugme »

I don't even know what to say anymore. We were all rooting so much for Lennox. Feeling very somber now (the fact that I'm in a room where I have to be silent isn't helping). I hope he'll be happy on rainbow bridge.

Thanks for posting on here because twitter is blocked at my school. I wouldn't have seen it until Sunday because of school events (I love being in pep band and playing at the football games, but I'm getting sick of waking up so early and sleeping so late) When I first came to this school, the first thing I tested was whether the forum was blocked. I was so relieved to see that it was open.

Starting to tear up now and everyone is staring. :cry: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: Long live Lennox.
--dontpugme
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

This saddens me, with so many people fighting for him, how could they possible rule against him. It's horrible. I can't imagine the heartache his family is facing. :(
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I haven't been following the case closely, and this bit rang alarm bells: 'Miss Barnes’ mother Margaret said Lennox was “a nice family dog” that would be left alone to play with her grandchildren.' Surely no dog should be left alone to play with children, particularly one who has shown aggression in any circumstances? But that doesn't mean he deserves to die :(

The only positive is that he'll not have to carry on living in such inhumane conditions for much longer, and that's the bit that really hurts me about these cases. A dog who is behaviourally sound can be incarcerated for months while investigations take place, just because of the way they look, and who knows what they'llb e like by the time they come out again? :(

BSL is as wrong as any other form of racism :?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

This is a sad day Indeed. :(
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

remember this next time someone thinks there "ought to be a law....." :wink:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

This is so sad. With so many people pulling for him, it seem like there was no way Lennox would not be spared. For the poor dog to have had to live in such conditions for so long, basically for nothing. It is just so sad.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

When I heard the news about Lennox, I had to get away from the computer, keep from saying what I have to say, because it angers me of why such people in a position of power do the dumbest things! Taking a dog from its owners without provocation but because of its breed is no better than a person basing their judgments of another person because of their race, beliefs, and so on, without getting to know that person. We call this racial profiling or racism, and what the authorities in Ireland and elsewhere (its happen and still happening) to this dog and many others is no different to what we humans do to one another! Now, this dog and many others like it will die because of their breeding! What makes this right? It doesn't! Many people including myself have petitioned the authorities to let Lennox go home. Why didn't they listen to the voices of reason? They couldn't be deaf, could they? Neither Ignorance and Arrogance doesn't pave the way to wisdom and understanding nor does it lead to power. The authorities may have been following the law, but laws can be repealed!

(I'm stopping here because I'm just getting angry again)
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Reading between the lines, THIS
JudyN wrote:'Miss Barnes’ mother Margaret said Lennox was “a nice family dog” that would be left alone to play with her grandchildren.'
says a lot more than we have been told.

Yes JudyN you are quite right - no dog should ever be left alone with children. Poor Lennox paid the price for criminally incompetent owners. Who will probably get another dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Nettle wrote:Reading between the lines, THIS
JudyN wrote:'Miss Barnes’ mother Margaret said Lennox was “a nice family dog” that would be left alone to play with her grandchildren.'
says a lot more than we have been told.

Yes JudyN you are quite right - no dog should ever be left alone with children. Poor Lennox paid the price for criminally incompetent owners. Who will probably get another dog.
You must all know more than I do about this whole travesty. My understanding was that Lennox never was found to have done anything wrong or dangerous. His only 'crime' was to be of a certain breed type and so he was confiscated.

Was he a danger to this woman's grandkid's then? And do we even know how old they are? I wouldn't leave a dog alone with very young children, but older, responsible kids I wouldn't generally hesitate, depending of course on the dog's personality.

Anyway, this seems to me a very sad story with a very sad ending.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

My take is that he was an illegal type of dog and that he was left alone with the grandkids, not that he did anything.

But ANY dog left alone with grandkids is being set up for failure.

And anybody owning an illegal breed/type of dog has already committed a criminal offence.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Suzette wrote:You must all know more than I do about this whole travesty. My understanding was that Lennox never was found to have done anything wrong or dangerous. His only 'crime' was to be of a certain breed type and so he was confiscated.

Was he a danger to this woman's grandkid's then? And do we even know how old they are? I wouldn't leave a dog alone with very young children, but older, responsible kids I wouldn't generally hesitate, depending of course on the dog's personality.
This report says that he growled at dog wardens. That certainly isn't an indication that he is an aggressive dog - my own dog would probably growl if someone came round that he could tell I wasn't happy about, and could snap if they advanced on him intending to measure his muzzle, but it is enough for me to feel he shouldn't be left alone with children. And I think we can assume the grandchildren were young, or the owner wouldn't have made the point.

I'v also read one report saying that they had at one point reached a stage where they would have been happy for Lennox to be returned to his owners if he appeared to be safe, and if they followed certain guidelines (such as being muzzled in public, I imagine), regardless of his breeding. So... I don't know, it's always hard to know who is a reliable source. Chances are he was safe in the family situation but not safe when strangers tried to manhandle him, and even less safe after being incarcerated for a while :? But if that is the case, he's no different from very many other dogs who with management are safe and who will never attract the attention of the authorities because they don't fit the mould of a 'dangerous dog'.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

From Victoria's F*cebook:
Latest - The Family have a 14 day window in which to present evidence to the judge proving that he may have missed a legal loophole, we still have time. Anyone with any legal knowledge on N.Ireland law and N.Ireland DDA etc needs to come forward. Please send this to everyone you know.
--dontpugme
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Well as stories travel around the Internet, they do tend to get distorted,embellished, whatever. And I have learned the hard way over the years to try not to assume anything. But no matter who we point the finger at, it looks like Lennox is the one who will pay the price. Let's hope someone finds that loophole Victoria wrote about.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

There may be a loophole in their laws: If the family had Lennox before this/these law(s) went into effect, they may be able to save Lennox! Just a thought! :wink:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown