Any Ideas for this forum?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Re: Any Ideas for this forum?

Post by jacksdad »

actually links opening in the same window verse a new tab is a setting in the browser (as in the person computer verse the forum software) be it Internet Explorer or Firefox, or Chrome, or Opera or any of the other modern browsers that uses tabs.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

jacksdad wrote:actually links opening in the same window verse a new tab is a setting in the browser
I'm not sure if that would override forum settings or vice versa, as on other forums links open in a new tab for me but as I was beginning to doubt what I said I had a check - it seems that by default, phpBB Version 3 forums, unlike phpBB Version 2, open in the same tab. I thought there was an option in the admin panel which I was wrong about, but there is a script to overcome this. So I still maintain that the board admin should be able to change this, but withdraw the word 'easily' :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Two of the reasons the "b word" is censored are 1) because of cultural reasons (many people are highly offended by the word, as it no longer represents what it originally did, and prefer to use the term "female dog" instead). And 2) because of unsavory characters who are doing a search of websites that contain that word, and they are not looking for advice about female dogs-- they are looking for websites with sexual content. They get on here by such a search, and they are likely to turn "trollish," making this website something nasty and distasteful, simply because people like that think it is funny to pervert something clean and good into something x-rated. That's why b*itch needs to be censored-- to protect the integrity of this site, and keep it friendly to our under 18 year old readers. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Fundog wrote:Two of the reasons the "b word" is censored are 1) because of cultural reasons (many people are highly offended by the word, as it no longer represents what it originally did, and prefer to use the term "female dog" instead). And 2) because of unsavory characters who are doing a search of websites that contain that word, and they are not looking for advice about female dogs-- they are looking for websites with sexual content. They get on here by such a search, and they are likely to turn "trollish," making this website something nasty and distasteful, simply because people like that think it is funny to pervert something clean and good into something x-rated. That's why b*itch needs to be censored-- to protect the integrity of this site, and keep it friendly to our under 18 year old readers. :wink:
Fair enough :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I think Fundog said it best about the word "B*itch", when she wrote:
Two of the reasons the "b word" is censored are 1) because of cultural reasons (many people are highly offended by the word, as it no longer represents what it originally did, and prefer to use the term "female dog" instead). And 2) because of unsavory characters who are doing a search of websites that contain that word, and they are not looking for advice about female dogs-- they are looking for websites with sexual content. They get on here by such a search, and they are likely to turn "trollish," making this website something nasty and distasteful, simply because people like that think it is funny to pervert something clean and good into something x-rated. That's why b*itch needs to be censored-- to protect the integrity of this site, and keep it friendly to our under 18 year old readers.
Thanks for saying that Fundog, because it is so often true!Image
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
chay

Post by chay »

yes thankyou from me also fundog, i hadn't considered that side of it before!

although even WITH b***** censored, i have happened across some rather *ahem* "surprising" spam (with pictures!!) - rather amusing given i happily browse this website on my lunchbreak with not a care in the world (because if the boss asks what i'm doing, i can say 'just reading about positive dog training, boss!') - however when *those* pictures came up i hurriedly closed my browser and hoped none of my colleagues happened to glance over at my screen at that particular moment!! :oops: :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yeah, sorry about that - hopefully we havent had any of THAT kind for a while now!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I'm glad we haven't had one like the last one we had on here; that one would have made you and your colleagues blush for sure! :oops:

Remember that one, Emmabeth? It's the one I'm glad I caught you online and quickly notified you about before some child or someone who's easily offended saw it?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Care to read the first impressions from a new member?

I don't think you're doing much wrong at all. More doggy pictures maybe. You've been very friendly to me, given me good advice, and I've enjoyed exploring the various parts of the forum. It does take a while to get your bearings on any new forum, but that's common to all forums when you're knew.

I suspect you perhaps do have small 'agony aunt' or 'doctors waiting room' phenomenon, people come here with a problem, and don't feel they've anything to contribute once they have an answer to their issue.

The second thing I might describe is a 'holiday snap' phenomenon, where people take a very close interest in their own dogs, but if they were really, really, really honest, their interest in other peoples dogs is largely for good manners/appearances sake. Speaking for myself, I know I take a closer interest when I know a little more about a particular dog. Apart from the small avatars you have, I don't know anything about your own dogs, and I'd like to. It would have to be optional of course, because some folks might be shy, private or not have dogs at all. Sad to say, some us periodically lose our furry friends, and that's not a pleasant 'update' to have to make.

Instead of, or as well as, an avatar, might it be possible to add a signature to your posts featuring each members dogs so you know at a glance what kind of dog somebody has? How old their dogs are perhaps, interesting quips etc? Many forums have signature pictures in their posts, but I haven't seen any here so far. Can we actually do that here?

If you did want to broaden your appeal, you might encourage people to post reports of local dog shows, events, etc, and perhaps foster links with owners clubs. - Perhaps you already do. :oops:

There isn't a great deal here for any people who don't already have a dog. Maybe you could also perhaps broaden your format to advise people about different breeds they may be thinking about buying and any unique training insights which different breeds provoke. Are certain breeds hard to train? Or do certain breeds excell at different tasks? I know at once this might raise the hackles of cross breed dog or rescue dog owners, but that needn't be so. A known cross, or even a suspected cross might have particular characteristics of it's own. For example, I have Rhodesian Ridgeback, and know for a fact that a cross bred Ridgeback pup can have the ridge. (Not first hand knowledge you understand, but my Mother had a Lab/RR cross, which looked like a normal black lab, but it had a ridge. Even a Heinz dog (57 varieties) will have a character. Does your typical Collie cross still try to herd things? - Just for an example. Can you work out an unknown cross by what it does? All that could be a massive research chore and big headache for Admin, but it could be informal, and perhaps take the form of 'favourite' dogs to train, or just an owners own perspective.

You could also make the forum more of an information resource for potential dog owners, and assist them to assess the pros and cons of getting their own dogs, or identifying why a dog might be acting strangely. What are the hazards / benefits of rescue dogs over pups? What do people use for food? Are there particular brand names your dogs do or don't like?

These are just rolling off the tongue with no thought at all, and no criticisms or anything like that are intended.

If you will allow me one criticism? I have seen a few posts well down the lists but left unanswered. Now that's not Admin or a Mods fault, it just happens, but whenever I see a '0' reply thread falling down the page, it doesn't hurt to say something even if you can't actually help. It bumps the question to the top for one thing, but it's a big downer when you keep checking back to a forum waiting for a response but everybody ignores you. It's not a criticism of anybody in particular, but just an observation.

Like I said at the top, these are my first impressions, and I repeat, if there's anything going wrong, it isn't very much. I like it here, and hope you don't tire of my contributions too quickly. :D

EDIT - Yes we can have Sigs, have you seen Cheetahs posts? That's what I mean...
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:
jacksdad wrote:actually links opening in the same window verse a new tab is a setting in the browser
I'm not sure if that would override forum settings or vice versa, as on other forums links open in a new tab for me but as I was beginning to doubt what I said I had a check - it seems that by default, phpBB Version 3 forums, unlike phpBB Version 2, open in the same tab. I thought there was an option in the admin panel which I was wrong about, but there is a script to overcome this. So I still maintain that the board admin should be able to change this, but withdraw the word 'easily' :D
The default as long as I can remember is if you click on a link, it opens in the same window. To my understanding this is just how the link tag works and is expected to work. This can be over ridden in the browser simply by right clicking the link and choosing to open links in a new tab. I have yet to run into a site that won't let me do this. no need to get the board admin involved when you can control opening links from your browser :wink:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Please do bump posts that seem to have been missed - thats very helpful. If we say a 1 bump per day (just so that newbies don't think it is acceptable to bump their post every 2 minutes, there are some people who are used to 'live chat' type sites or facebook wall posts which do get responses within minutes!) if a thread has gone unnoticed.

Sometimes I will read a post and think 'ah, I will come back to that when I am in a suitable frame of mind', for whatever reason - I suspect other people do too so I think this is how some posts get missed from time to time.

Sigs with info about peoples dogs would be a GREAT idea, yes I like that a lot!

I know on a reptile forum I use, people have a little menu that can be dropped down, I think it is a simple bit of code in their signature so I will go and find out how to do that. This way you can list your dogs and some info about them, without taking up a HUGE chunk of the bottom of each of your posts (which would get a tad irritating to read).
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Crapsticks. Drop down menu won't work, suspect that code isnt enabled for this forum. (Unless anyone else knows better I was using the tag [ drop ] and [ option ] within that to give me a drop down menu with a list in it).
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

another idea is clicker challenges. Now I can't take credit for this idea as the basic concept was bantered around when I first joined here.

so what my suggestion is either monthly, but quarterly might make more sense, clicker training challenges. have a beginning, intermediate, and advanced skill level challenges. no prizes, just bragging rights for having accomplished something. beginning and intermediate could ask for help, but advanced has to figure it out for them self. then after say a month or two people post progress, link to youtube etc to share.

with us moving towards winter, it might be nice to start working our dogs brains a bit more.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

You know what would be fun? What if the Webmaster created a graphic of cyber cake that rained down on the page at certain times-- whenever a new post appeared on the "Success" page, for example, would be a good place for raining cyber cake.... or whenever someone posted a remark that said something to the effect of, "this definitely calls for cyber cake!" I don't know how technically difficult something like that would be to achieve; I just know it is out of my scope of abilities, for certain. But I know it's possible, to a point. My younger son participates in a fantasy forum, where they actually have cyber celebrations: treats rain down on Halloween, candy and presents at Christmas, etc. They log on and have their avatars collect the goodies for extra points or bartering power.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

Sorry I haven't been around much, between settling into my new digs, worrying about - then finding my lost dog (he was taken in by a shelter and adopted out to someone else, don't even get me started on that, lol), and dealing with a computer crash (oh the horrors!), I haven't been posting here much...

I do want to jump into this conversation a bit though, if that's okay... I don't think changing this forum up is a good idea. The idea behind it was to get people to discuss, on the most part, positive dog training. The volunteers that work on this forum to help out are extremely awesome, and are doing a fabulous job, and I don't think that adding new topics or other areas of interest will validate that as well. Not only that - but to add other topics of interest isn't a good way to get more members. The best way to get more members is to promote this forum in other areas on the Internet - for example, if you read a blog post about dog training, or a news article, comment with a link back to this forum and an explanation as to what it's all about. Link it on your Facebooks, Twitters, etc... believe me, there are thousands of arenas where this forum can be promoted. :)

I've run two very successful forums in the past - and members come and go, that's a given. You'll have your regulars, your once-in-a-whiles, your peek-ins, and your sign-up-once-and-never-come-backers... it happens.

I am not saying that the idea behind this post is to take away from the main issue here - but in the long run, the more topics you have, the less important the main topic becomes.
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/