gotta tell people who'll understand

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Re: gotta tell people who'll understand

Post by jacksdad »

who is Emma Watson?
Erica

Post by Erica »

jacksdad wrote:who is Emma Watson?
She plays Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

OMG Jacksdad you are so not-a-real-geek now! How have you missed Harry Potter!!!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Oh gosh! How can you watch those "Harry Potter" movies! :roll:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Cool Dog, one day, when you ever have some free time, (that may not be until you retire, lol) you have simply GOT to read the books! My kids told me that for years and years, then when I was truly desperate for something to read, I got started--- and was hooked. I've read the series twice.

So everyone, which of the books/movies is your personal most favorite? Mine is "Order of the Phoenix," on both accounts so far. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

My favorite movie was The Goblet of Fire. (Sorcerer's Stone is a close second because of that epic game of chess) I always feel bad for watching movies without reading the books, so I started reading the series last month. I'm almost done with Chamber of Secrets.

Next to the Emma Watson poster are Rupert Grint and Daniel Radcliffe posters from the same company. (They replaced esarC, George Lopez, and I think Rachel Ray)
--dontpugme
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

Fundog wrote: Cool Dog, one day, when you ever have some free time, (that may not be until you retire, lol) you have simply GOT to read the books! My kids told me that for years and years, then when I was truly desperate for something to read, I got started--- and was hooked. I've read the series twice.
Fundog, I doubt I'll have any free time, even when I'm old enough to retire. When you think about it, a woman's job is never done, because once she gets the children raised, she is still raising her husband! :lol:

Two of my favorite books are "Michelle Remembers" (I can't remember the author's name :( ) and "Hawaii" by James Mirchner (I'm not sure how he spelled his name). Maybe wvvdiup1 knows because I borrowed the books off of her! :?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

My favorite non Harry Potter book series is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was written for teens, but its not a sappy love story like so many teen fiction books are. My mom loved the series. Its science fiction, politics, and adventure all at the same time.
--dontpugme
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I wonder if you could get a Victoria poster.... or a Zak George (or both!) poster, for your school.... they would be excellent role models for a school poster!
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Didn't miss Harry Potter, but this Whisperer fella has past me by. Never seen him or heard of him before now. Must be on satellite in the UK perhaps?

After a quick google, I take it his wolf based dominance theory is open to question? That's fine by me - it's not an opening for a discussion, I genuinely don't know anything about it. Not interested anyway. I have seen Victoria doing her stuff, and that works for me.

Probably no accident in the title, but I have seen Horse Whisperers who seem to tap in to how a horse thinks, but I have the sneaking suspicion the ice in this particular area might be a little thin to walk about on. Cough, cough, moving right along....

Besides, have you seen my Odin? Use fear and dominance??? If I went down that route I'm not even sure I'd win top spot, never mind teach him to do anything worthwhile in the process. :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

emmabeth wrote:OMG Jacksdad you are so not-a-real-geek now! How have you missed Harry Potter!!!

*hangs head in shame*

Harry potter just didn't interest me. not really into the whole wizard thing (hobbit/lord of the rings being an exception). Heck I didn't even play D&D..I know, I am a defective geek.

but even if I had watched the harry potter movies, without a picture, probably still wouldn't have reconized the name...I am horrible about actor/actress real names. I remember faces though.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Flyby wrote:... this Whisperer fella has past me by. Never seen him or heard of him before now.
not missing much
Flyby wrote: After a quick google, I take it his wolf based dominance theory is open to question?
I would say dis-proven is more accurate

If you ever want to explore how and why, this is a great book for doing so http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Sense-Science ... 0465019447
chay

Post by chay »

raaaaaaarrrghhh...sorry all, just have to bump this thread to share with people who'll understand!

recently here (in australia) there was a tragic instance where a roaming pit bull entered a house (the door was open) and mauled a 4 year old girl to death in her living room. there has been such a knee jerk reaction, everyone up in arms about BAN PIT BULLS, the manager of the nations largest pound (the "lost dogs home" which is also one of the highest kill facilities in the country) has openly come and said "pit bulls have lost the right to exist" (WTF!@#$%)

now legislation has been introduced that if a dog LOOKS LIKE A PIT BULL - it can be seized and potentially destroyed within 48hrs. there is a "dangeous dogs hotline" being set up where people can "dob in a dangerous dog". councils have been given PICTURES OF PIT BULLS AS A REFERENCE as to what dog "might be a pit bull"

they are now saying they want to introduce DNA testing to be able to "prove" if a dog is a pit bull, despite actual experts advising these tests are not reliable and not definitive at all.

last week, there was a serious attack on another young child in a park - BY A LABRADOR. not a single whisper in the press, from the LDH manager, NOTHING.

sometimes i am seriously ashamed to be a human being. i can't believe i breath the same air as such ignorant, arrogant fools. AAARRRRRRGHHHH!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Why does the media cause such "Mass Hysteria" when it panics over a bad incident such as the one chay just mentioned and not see the good things dogs do for people such as saving lives or helping in other ways, which is more common than dog attacks anyway! :evil:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

The thing is.. this stuff makes the news because it IS news, it DOESNT happen every day. The papers do not feature things that happen daily, such as children being murdered by their parents, people killing one another by misusing every day items such as cars, motorcycles etc because that isn't news. Even a dog biting someone is rarely news UNLESS it is a pitbull, a bull breed in general, a rottie, doberman, shepherd etc.

Someone gets bitten by a yorkie, not news. Get bitten by a golden retriever, not news. Get bitten by a bull breed x and BOY is that news.

We already have laws in the UK that sound much like what is happening where you are Chay - fight it all you can, use the UK as an example because OUR 'banned dogs' legislation has actually INCREASED the numbers of illegal dogs for two reasons.

Firstly, it makes any dog who LOOKS like a pitbull illegal, irrespective of their ancestry/genetics.

Secondly and way more importantly, it makes illegal dogs the MUST HAVE item for anyone wanting a dog to intimidate people or use as a weapon.

Even if you discount all the 'pitbull types' who are nothing of the sort, we now have more real pitbulls here than we EVER did 20 years ago, almost entirely due to the laws we now have. People looking for a dog whose very name intimidates others ditched Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans and went for Pitties.