Things people do

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Things people do

Post by Nettle »

I get involved with a couple of small dog rescues here and there. Today I heard of a b itch and a litter of very young puppies coming in from over the water :wink: the owner originally wanting to hand in the pups and keep the *****, but as the pups weren't weaned, the rescue managed to get the b itch as well.

She's about a year to 18 months old with a litter of 5-week-old puppies. And another two tiny puppies that are less than two weeks old and obviously of a much smaller breed/type. So he just tipped these extras in as part of the deal. And what the dickens happened to their mother and siblings?

One will definitely die and the other may make it.

I don't know whether to be mad at the attitude or grateful he at least gave two of them a chance. They are with a foster ***** now as it will be better for them than fighting to suckle with a crowd of bigger older pups that should be weaned, and mother's milk drying up.

What on earth goes on in the minds of people who do this kind of thing?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
thepennywhistle

Re: Things people do

Post by thepennywhistle »

There are some very strange people in this world. The owner couldn't be
so stupid as to believe the rescue would buy their all being from one litter.
But hey, as long as they are now somebody else's problem, everything is good,
right? They'll take good care of them, so his conscience is clear.

So one dies slowly, and one maybe lives, maybe not. Another fosterer is worked
hard hand-rearing and probably going through the heartache of losing these
babies that shouldn't be orphans. I suppose we should be grateful he didn't just
stick them in the freezer, then set them out with the garbage. How do people like
that sleep at night?

At least the puppies are in good hands and with caring folk now, and that is a good
thing. My personal belief is that even if you lose them, if a baby like that gets love
and cuddles while it's with you, then it's been a good day.
chay

Post by chay »

ugh

before providence sent gypsy to us, i spent a lot of time on rescue sites and blogs and the stuff i saw/read just boggled my mind (and simultaneously crushed my heart and spirit). i know logically this stuff happens in the world...but reading about it every day for months, gosh it was hard (bit of a head in the sand gal here i'm afraid). i followed one rescue blog for months even after we found gypsy - i'm somewhat ashamed to say i had to stop, because i actually started to fall into a bit a depression that there are so many people like "THAT" even in the world

i have unspeakable respect for people who work in rescue. not the orgs or "chartities" (i know there are some dodgy ones out there), but the people who actually look into these dogs faces, and watch these pups die. how they deal with (imo) one of the most horrible facets of human existence, every single day, and don't take a shotgun to the nearest rooftop after a while staggers me.

*edit: christ, even piki piki's recent experience with her in-laws? the things people do indeed :?:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Unbelievably (to us) the Rescue DIDN'T realise these small pups were from a different litter and much younger. They just said that two of the puppies were really small and not doing so well..... :roll: They are with a very experienced fosterer now.

thepennywhistle

Nettle wrote:Unbelievably (to us) the Rescue DIDN'T realise these small pups were from a different litter and much younger. They just said that two of the puppies were really small and not doing so well..... :roll: They are with a very experienced fosterer now.

:shock: You're scaring me, Nettle.

I'm glad the tiny pups are with folks who can recognize and see
to their needs now. There are good people left in this world :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Kudos to this fosterer - the sick pup is still alive, still eating, and appears very much more lively. It could go any way still but the little chap is determined to live.

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I dunno if its scarier that the rescue didnt realise.... or that im not surprised that they didnt.

I know a rescue didnt notice for several days that the dog they had in was a ***** (and ive heard of that happening a LOT), but the time one didn't realise that the dog they had in was 50% wolf... that was staggering (and I have to say, it really didn't look much like a dog at all!).

Well done for the fosterers efforts and lucky pup... and a pox on the horrid puppy dumping waste of space!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

UPDATE

I saw the little chap yesterday (and the very mixed litter - well, two litters) he is still alive, getting great care and quite the little character. His fosterer puts him on the foster-b itch by himself and he feeds and feeds, going from one teat to the next 'getting all the cream' we say. He is also tucking into raw mince and pulverised raw vegetables. He is still too weak to worm, but the raw veg. force out worms too :x and he has got rid of a lot since he started on real food. The other pups have been wormed and it - did a good job.

Someone tried to dock his tail by tying a string around - he'd lost the string by the time he came to his foster home, but the damage remains. He'll keep his tail but it will always have a kink in it.

He's suddenly grown a lot of coat too. He'll make someone a fun pet, this feisty little fellow who so nearly didn't make it. He's really sociable, and can wag his tail already, though his eyes are not fully open. When he knows a person is there, he bundles straight over with a big grin and lopsided wags.

I came away feeling - happy and humbled.

Erica

Post by Erica »

Thank goodness for great fosters! <3
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, Pics, Pics, Pics! This thread is useless without Pics! We must see this waggy little bundle of love, who has overcome difficult odds! (And no doubt we will all fall over dead from cuteness overload) :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
chay

Post by chay »

fantastic news nettle!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Fundog wrote:Okay, Pics, Pics, Pics! This thread is useless without Pics! We must see this waggy little bundle of love, who has overcome difficult odds! (And no doubt we will all fall over dead from cuteness overload) :lol:
*thunk*

oh wait need pic fist :lol:

that was close, nettles almost orphaned Jack
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No pics as that would infringe the privacy of the rescue and the fosterer. Instead, fire up the imagination, think of fat, fluffy, mainly white with a few small black patches, a big grin and a skew-wiff tail. Oh, and you can hold him in one hand.

thepennywhistle

Wow. Thanks for the happy update, Nettle. Little Miracle puppy must have some major
destiny ahead of him to survive so many strikes against him. He'll make it where he's
going from here, no doubt about it, and may he have a long and happy life, unique
tail and all :)

That must be one super fosterer. I bow before her humbling skills :)

And that original puppy dumper? This person gets stranger with every post!
Doesn't want the puppy, can't be bothered to care for the puppy, but decides
straight away we want to take it's tail off? Slowly, and painfully. Can't just
snip it and use a cautery agent, oh no. We have to strangle the tail to death.
What is with THAT! Just felt the need to maim that day?

Nettle, I'm envisioning that tough little guy, all waggles and grins now, with
his future happiness assured. Your news has made my day! Thanks for sharing :D