Feeling Crummy... Really, Really Crummy...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Buddy'smyboy

Feeling Crummy... Really, Really Crummy...

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

Today my mom was called by her good friend Lisa. For about a year/two years Lisa's mom has been battling cancer. The cancer was in her colon-rectum area and failed to respond to treatment, so the doctors had to do invasive surgery where they went in and removed the cancer, a procedure that left too little tissue for them to be able to repair that area so they stitched that up or whatever they do and redirected her intestines through I think a hole in her abdomen (or something along those lines). It's been a long road to recovery with many trips to the hospital, tears, and let downs and now she's finally getting better and is finally home for what they hope is for good.

The reason Lisa called is because apparently her dad- who's been faithfully by her mom's side during this entire journey- just had some kind of tests done because he was having trouble breathing and they discovered that he has small cell something cancer in his lungs that is very aggressive and advanced and he only has six months left to live. She is arranging for hospis so he does not have to go to the hospital and go through what his wife just had to go through. Just when we all thought everything was going to be ok we find out that the one person we wern't expecting to be sick is soon going to die from the same thing Lisa's mom just fought to survive and succeeded. I've talked with these people, I made her mom an origami flower basket while she was in the hospital because she couldn't have real ones, I've talked with her dad, I like him, we get along.
It makes me awful, it makes me feel sad, and the only thing I can think of that will make me feel any better is to make something really special for them. I have some ideas already, but whatever it is I need to make it really, really speacial, amazing, and as perfect as possible. I'm thinking I'm going to draw it. Their family is a Christian family like ours, we actually met through our church, so I definitely want elements of that in it. I already have a list of things I might include, although I haven't developed what I will draw in my head yet.
Ideas:
Butterflies (transformation... and pretty)
Cross (of Calvary maybe)
Crown (symbol for Christ)
Daisy (symbol of Christ's infancy, how delicate and humbly he came... and also pretty)
Dove with three barred halo (Holy Spirit)
Dove normal (peace)
Fish
Lamb
Stag (safety in God's care)
Something personal between Lisa's mom and dad; don't know yet

My first thought is to draw a dove with a crown (Christ) guiding a smaller dove (her dad) up towards the sky and into heaven over a cross on a [calvary] hill (hence maybe cross of calvary) with daisies and butterflies all around, maybe a sunrise/set in the background.

Second is simpler; two doves sitting on a branch (mom and dad) and a personal item or two on them or in the picture so it represents them.

Another is to put the stag in a picture with something to represent mom (stag is protecting her) while dad leaves somehow. That idea is incomplete.

If I detirmine that I am feeling particularly bold, I might draw either the two of them together, or draw a picture of their chairs (the two of them always sit in chairs side by side in the living room).

I know none of you know them so you can't really help there at all, but maybe you can help me with the orchestration of my gift to them.I know from the origami flower basket I made for Lisa's mom that whatever I make will be really special to them and mean a lot regardless, but I still want to put a lot of thought and care into this project. I want at least one Christian element in this picture so be sure to include that in any suggestions/ideas. Thanks, and please help me, it means a lot.
emmabeth

Re: Feeling Crummy... Really, Really Crummy...

Post by emmabeth »

Honestly, I think anything you do will be really appreciated!

Personally I am not one for overt religious references (they might be though so feel free to disregard what I say here!), but I think a stag, in a field of daisies would be lovely! If there was some woodland in the background you could have a dove in there too maybe - so its all still there but its a bit more subtle.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Buddy'smyboy wrote:My first thought is to draw a dove with a crown (Christ) guiding a smaller dove (her dad) up towards the sky and into heaven over a cross on a [calvary] hill (hence maybe cross of calvary) with daisies and butterflies all around, maybe a sunrise/set in the background.

Second is simpler; two doves sitting on a branch (mom and dad) and a personal item or two on them or in the picture so it represents them.

Another is to put the stag in a picture with something to represent mom (stag is protecting her) while dad leaves somehow. That idea is incomplete.
Your ideas are lovely. If this is truly a strong Christian family, then I really like your first idea. Those who are strong in their faith and know their eternal destination will find this to be very beautiful and peaceful. Conversely, those not as certain in their eternal future often find death frightening and could see this as unsettlling as it points out their iminent death.

It's clear you have a very sweet and kind heart. You know these people best and I'm sure you'll choose just the perfect theme for your gift that will touch their hearts.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

I like your idea about "subtle", emmabeth. That gets me thinking more. Hmm...

I drew some quick sketches of what the ideas more or less look like to me.

Idea 1: the doves are closer so the focus is on them and the other elements are in the background, below them.

Idea 2: Well, the only thing in the picture is the doves so obviously they're the focus

Idea 3: Combination of my idea and emmabeth's idea. Couldn't quite decide where to put the dove, although I think it might look better in the foreground. By the way, disregard my flimsy dear antlers, squiggle flowers, and three legged butterflies! :lol:

Idea 4: I think it's rather self explanatory. A portrait.

Idea 5 (although it doesn't actually have a number): I was considering whether or not to put a dove on his chair or somewhere in the room.

http://www.photoshop.com/users/ewebster ... 48ef7f0b61

http://www.photoshop.com/users/ewebster ... 40c0fa8071
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I agree. whatever you do will be appropriated. I am pretty artistically challenged so I am not good with advice for this, but it's very nice of you to put in this kind off effort for them.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Showing that you care will mean far more than the composition of your artwork.
I know whatever you choose to do will be beautiful and appropriate, as it will
come from your heart. My sympathies to you and your friend's family for all
that they are going through. They are fortunate to have caring people like
you around them at this time.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oooh ooh.. (I actually bounced in my chair then and said that outloud! I feel about five years old!)

Stag on a hill, a three quarters view from the back if that makes sense, and hes looking out over....... doves in the air, other stuff?
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

emmabeth wrote:Oooh ooh.. (I actually bounced in my chair then and said that outloud! I feel about five years old!)

Stag on a hill, a three quarters view from the back if that makes sense, and hes looking out over....... doves in the air, other stuff?
Something along these lines? Maybe with the stag more central?

http://www.photoshop.com/users/ewebster ... 33965b1516
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

I found out what type of cancer he has. He has extensive-stage small cell carcinoma of the lungs. I Googled it and two-year treatment prognoses is a 4.6% survival rate; needless to say that's why they decided not to pursue treatment.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

That picture is almost exactly what I had in mind, yes!

Cancer sucks and yeah, with a survival rate like that I wouldn't be doing it either :(
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

I have another spin off idea of emmabeth's. A dove sitting on a tree branch and deer next to the tree sniffing noses with the dove, it's neck extended as it reaches out to sniff it.
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

The life expectancy the doctor gave her dad was inaccurate. Lisa's dad died Tuesday; about 3 weeks after his diagnosis. My previous plans were to give a gift particularly for the father and the mother, but now my focus will now be for Lisa and her mother. Geez, just yesterday I made JV in volleyball my freshman year and today I found out her dad died. Great mood spoiler. I'm in the settup stage for the drawing. I've finally settled on the final idea I came up with (last post). I'll update on how it's going as I continue it.
chay

Post by chay »

oh i'm so sorry to hear that, buddy'smyboy :( doctors and medicine can do some pretty amazing things and predict some things pretty darn accurately, but at the end of the day sometime a person's own timeline is just their own. sometimes things happen in their own time, regardless of what the doctor's think or hope. lots of love from australia to lisa and her family (and you and yours) *HUGS*
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well done for your JV and sorry for your sad news. Life often pairs experiences like that, I find.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I know it's little consolation, but... I do kind of understand how you feel. My own father passed away six years ago. He had myelodysplastic syndrome, a type of bone marrow cancer. He had a bone marrow transplant and was getting better... then he got an infection and died, just five months after diagnosis. Out of all of my siblings, I was the only one who was not there to say good bye.

The death of a parent is a difficult thing to get past. I imagine the death of a friend-parent is not much easier. :(
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.