Bad rescue!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lucylulu

Bad rescue!

Post by Lucylulu »

Hi I am in the United States and have had a horrendous time with a local rescue. The animal I rescued was a cat, but I am posting on here because they also rescue dogs.
the place i adopted her from was a rescue that was run out of a veterinary clinic. it was by far the worst smelling vet clinic i have ever been in. it was so bad my friend had to go wait outside in the car or else she would have been sick. that should have been a red flag . . .
when I adopted my cat, she was a 5 month old kitten. she had an eye infection but they said it would be fine.
I specifically asked them if she had been tested for feline leukemia and FIV and they said yes. I also asked them specifically if she had been up to date on all of her shots and they said yes.
She recovered from the eye infection but the next week it came back and got worse. I took her in and they gave me more medicine. When it became worse again, they gave me more medicine.
at this point, I took her to a different vet who said the medicine they gave me the third time wouldn't be very effective at all.
at this time, the new vet couldn't find on her medical file records of the feline leukemia or FIV tests. when they called where i adopted her from, they said that they hadn't tested her for it because her mom had tested negative.
so finally she was diagnost with allergies. but she always seemed a bit lathargic for a kitten.
ten days ago, she became very sick. she became clumsy and disoriented. (she was around 8 ish months old.) my roommate (who was kitty sitting as i was out of town) thought she might have a broken hip from how she limped.) She was taken in to the vet and x-rayed and he found nothing wrong with her bones, and she was diagnosted with cerebellar hypoplasia.
but that disease was not suppose to get worse and in the past week it did get worse. she stopped being able to use her back legs and before i was able to return home from my trip, she passed away.
looking at her medical records, I noticed that the place i adopted her from (who said she had had all of her shots) did not vaccinate her for distemper and one other thing. she was later vaccinated by my current vet. Also, on the records, the date of her vaccination is on the day i adopted her and right beside it it says the vaccinations were due a few days prior to that.
also, something i just thought of. I have never owned a cat before this, but i know with dogs they have to have a series of vaccinations. as far as the records indicate, this was her first round of vaccinations. seeing as when i adopted her she was five months old and when she died she was 8 months old, would she have needed to have more than one round of shots?
what makes me suspecious of this particular rescue establishment is that the kitten rescued was a ragdoll and the vet who runs the clinic breeds ragdolls. it isn't the most common breed in the world and what are the odds in my small town that in october (when she was born) a pure bred ragdoll mamma cat would be brought in to be rescued pregnant with pure bred ragdoll kittens.
what i suspect is that the vet breeds ragdoll kittens and the ones who are sickly she claims are 'rescue' kittens so some poor fool will get on petfinder and think they are saving a cats life that needs rescuing.
I've also seen an add in a newspaper out here where this same vet was advocating a dog breeding something or other. like a dog breeding ring, but the list of breeds included some of those labrapoo and stuff like that.
they lied to me about the vaccinations, adopted to me a very sick kitten. that may not have actually been a rescue kitten at all but the result of their stupidity with breeding.
i am glad that i was able to adopt siri because while her life was short, i made sure it was good and at least she got to live a little before she became sick.
what i want is this place to be shut down. I don't want anyone else to have to go through this nor do i want any other kittens or puppies (i think the vet breeds puppies too) to be born in a place as scummy as that.
Also, online there is a ton of reviews about them from people who have adopted animals from them and they have had some serious issues. lots of sick animals and one they kept giving her a different name and birth date for the cat she adopted. also, when siri the kitty was really sick last week i googled what i could find about the vet clinic and learned that the vet clinic lost their accrediation with the better business bureau for complaints about their sales.
Any suggestions as to what can be done? I want these people shut down.