Heal work to music

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Heal work to music

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Just wondering what the general view on this was. The reason I ask is I have been watching Crufts again this year (as I am sure many of you have) and saw Mary Ray and her dog Levi do their stuff. Now the presenter (can't remember her name) referred to it as 'surreal' and I know that some people would say it was downright silly.

I have to say though I am fasinated by it. Its not something I would ever do myself (not seeing Ellie as a dancing dobie somehow :roll: ) but I think its a great example of just what a dog can be trained to do. Having a bit more knowledge then I have ever had before this year, I found myself sitting there thinking 'how did they teach him to do that'. A few of the moves were quite obvious but a lot of it was mind boggling! For example how do you teach your dog to copy you and 'march' when you march? Clever stuff.

So what do you all think genius or silly? And has anyone ever tried it?
D

Post by D »

I think anything that means spending time with your 4 legged friend, teaching them new things is fantastic. I dont think I would ever do it in public but it would be amazing to be able to train behavours as complexe as that, it must take them forever :D
Josie

Post by Josie »

No reason a doberman couldn't do well at it? It's always good to get in and challenge breed stereotypes.

All sorts of dogs compete in heelwork to music, I have a friend who does it with her bullmastiffs! It's a great way to exercise dogs mentally, and build a closer bond with them.

Apparantly from a TTouch point of view, the non habitual movements can help dogs to loosen up and it can have a positive impact on their behaviour too.

There are some good books out there. Clicker Dancing with Dogs by www.learningaboutdogs.com, Richard Curtis has a book http://www.k9freestyle.co.uk/, Mary Ray has a couple out too, and there is also a series in Dogs Today at the moment teaching basic moves.

There might even be training classes in your area. Have a look at http://www.paws-n-music.co.uk/

Get your dancing shoes on! :lol:
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I don't see any harm in it but it isn't the sort of thing I'd want to do. I'm sure the collies love it.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.