Nearly a bad accident

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Nearly a bad accident

Post by Nettle »

This morning I was walking my two 'big dogs' and they were working out a patch of dense cover, one on the inside and one on the outside. A rabbit shot out to be snapped at and missed by my older dog, and it turned on its heels and went back into the undergrowth. I heard a rush, then the most horrible crack, and my other dog started screaming.

Oh £$^&& I thought, that's her leg broken.

She crawled out on her side and fell at my feet, screaming. I felt her all over, checked her mouth, arms, legs, ribs, the lot. Obviously :roll: at this point a dog appeared from nowhere and started to try and bounce all over the pair of us. I wasn't polite about it.

She went quiet and into shock. We weren't far from home, maybe a mile, and she managed to stand up and stagger home with me (too big to carry at 25" and 20kg). Once home, I treated her for shock and severe bruising, and left her to sleep it off. I can't find where she hit herself except for a bald patch on her neck which may or may not be anything to do with it (she might have done that earlier). She is very sore and quiet, and I am continuing to treat for shock and bruising. My poor dog.

But how lucky - how very lucky - that it wasn't her leg or her neck. Once the bruising is down, I'll get the doggie chiropractor out to see to her.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Re: Nearly a bad accident

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh my goodness Nettle....how awful! I was :shock: just reading that......i hope she is OK and thank goodness it was nothing worse. I wonder what the crack was?
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Oh Nettle, how awful for both of you! What a blessing to your dogs that you know just what to do in these situations. I'll be sending out good thoughts for you and your sweet dog.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you both.

The crack was her hitting a fallen tree, but the cover was too dense for me to go in and find out which fallen tree.

She is very quiet still but holding her own.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MissCarla

Post by MissCarla »

Glad she is doing okay so far. She is in good hands!!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sending good thoughts for her Nettle - and why DO rude dogs ALWAYS appear at such moments! Grr!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

She's very lucky to have ya! :D
--dontpugme
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh my, how scary. A very bad thing indeed when a dog goes into shock. I'm glad she's going to pull through.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

I can't think of anything that can look worse than a crying dog crawling back to you.
How very scary for both of you. My GSD once wrenched her neck, and I remember
what a heart stopper her screaming and collapsing was for us. I hope for your
girl it's nothing more than a mild twist to the neck or a bang on the head, and she'll
feel better by bedtime. We'll be sending our very best vibes and prayers to both of you.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Hope she feels better soon Nettle and that it's nothing serious. My rottie mix once hurt himself, he screamed about it so much we rushed him to the vets thinking he'd broken his leg or something. He'd pulled a muscle :roll:
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Grief Nettle, how awful for both of you. Hope your dog is feeling better soon. It's risky checking them out when they're in pain, and thank goodness she managed to get home under her own steam.

Got to admit this is a worry of mine. How would we cope and what would we do if one of the dogs they had an accident out in the middle of nowhere? I remember vividly when my sister's springer broke his leg.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

very happy to hear it wasn't a broken leg.

here is to a speedy recovery
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

How scary! At least she was able to make it home and you were able to treat for shock. Hopefully whatever was injured will heal quickly. I think I would just absolutely freak out if that happened with one of my dogs and I don't think or function well under stress. Fortunately for your dog you can respond calmly and rationally.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

Hugs to you Nettie - and to your poor dog when she can be hugged. :)
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Nettle, how awful for both you and your dog! :shock: I hope she recovers soon, but, in the meantime, I'm sending thinking and praying for you both!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown