Study in Drawing Fur

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Buddy'smyboy

Study in Drawing Fur

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

Hey folks :D I recently decided to practice drawing our beloved furry creatures to practice my skills this summer (because I am being bored out of my mind right now :roll: ). As far as drawing goes, I'm only 14 (well, less then 2 months from being 15 :roll: ) so I am still a young artist, nothing pro. However, nobody ever gets to pro from doing nothing! If you want to, post a picture here or send me one of a furry friend and I'll draw it.

Things I am doing:
Headshot of a furred friend (not necessarily a dog)
It will be in black and white and shades of grey (graphite, maybe some charcoal, and if I can badger my mom into it, carbon pencil so the drawing won't be shiny)
Doing my BEST at drawing it accurately... I did say I am practicing :wink:
Realistic drawing (unless something else is requested, like a cartoony look)

Things I am NOT doing:
Digital art or any other non-traditional method of art, painting, etc. So far I am only confident enough to use my beloved pencil and paper so nothing else yet! (that and I don't have the technology)
Colored drawings... not yet
Full bodied drawings or more than a head and neck, although this is subject to change.
Non-furred creatures like birds or humans
Asking for payment... gosh no, besides, that's illegal I think. This is for fun and practice, absolutely free of charge. You get a picture, I get experience.

If you want me to redraw a picture at a later date (because hopefully I will get some replies here and will become better at drawing fur) just let me know and I will. Just to let the first people who reply know, you will be the test subject group :wink: :lol: , but since I am always open to redoing something if you or I want it to look better, no worries :D I WOULD post a link to some of the animal drawings I have done, but as of yet they are all (somewhere :? ) in a box, so I can't find them and post them here as examples :( I'll probably find them a year or two from now or something :roll:

What I need from YOU:
A nice, clean head photo (no fuzziness or excess of shadows) of the animal you want me to draw, because this is what the picture will look like. Preferably make it big so I can focus on details better.
It doesn't HAVE to be in black and white, it can be in color
A description of anything you want me to put in the picture besides the animal (words, etc.)

Since I have a lot of time on my hands, I will accept whatever comes at the moment. I'm going to say definitely expect them to take less than a week each, unless I DO somehow end up with a busy week in which case I will notify you.

So hopefully I'll get some practice out of this :) Let me know if you want one, post a picture with your request, and if you have any more questions or information you need from me let me know on the thread so everybody can see it. And thank you if you do choose to ask for one, I am greatful for the practice I will be getting.
emmabeth

Re: Study in Drawing Fur

Post by emmabeth »

Ooooooh .. there are some pics of my guys in the photo section but I'll go fetch them over here for you, definitely have a selection of fur types for you to have a go at, good project!

Wet fur!

Dry (fluffed with the hairdryer hence the funny shape!) fur

Her fur is naturally coarse and a bit 'hard' to touch and slightly wooly underneath, though the face fur is bit silkier.

Silky fur

Don't copy her eyes direct from this photo, the flash got them a bit wrong! (Eyes are another great thing to practice, get the eyes right and that is a huge part of the job done, especially if you wind up doing peoples pets as commissions!) Her eyes are much better here http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/ae61 ... uff026.jpg

LOTS of fur Image

I wouldnt expect you to really do that last one, but pick out a section of the photo really close up say a square including his nose or some of the chest fur and just draw the fur. It may help to try and map out the dog underneath but don't get sucked into drawing what you THINK is there but can't see.. treat it as shadows and light and shapes!

Fur blown by the wind..

That ought to be looooooooooads for you to do (don't feel as if you have to do them all!).

And as an example of (a really bad photo of a so-so drawing) heres my efforts, this is my old girl Abby (now at the Rainbow Bridge), and shehad reallllllllllllllly short smooth fur!

West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Don't feel you have to draw mine, just thought I'd add to the selection for you to practice on :mrgreen: Not sure if they're the sort of thing you're after. Rupert has odd fur, it's too soft to be wire hair but too harsh for anything else. It's horrible, holds the dirt terribly.

Wow, he looks young here!

Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

Thanks guys! This will give me lots of practice to get started on :D And emmabeth, that's a really good drawing! How long have you been drawing?
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

I haven't drawn fur since high school, and I always had a blast doing it. I liked wildlife a bit more than domestic pets though. :)

Drawing of this never got finished, but I can't locate any others atm...
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ooooooh since I was your age and younger!

Heres another - I don't normally do children and this ones still not right.. Image

I think in the end I gave up on that one and went with a different photo of him Image

Actually it's horses I do best, but don't have any of those online for some reason!
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

I always found horses and people intimidating, Emmabeth! Those children look really good. :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

For years ALL I drew was horses, to the point that as a kid I'd be producing really pretty good stuff for my age but my parents would be all 'oh, well yawn, thats nice, ANOTHER horse....' :lol:

So I didn't try to do anything else and when I did because it didn't come easy, I quit!

Since then I learned to look at the subject NOT so much for WHAT it was, horse, dog, cat - but what you could break it down into. Light, shadow, reflection, shape, etc etc.

Also having a good working understanding of animal anatomy and conformation really helps!
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

emmabeth wrote:Ooooooh since I was your age and younger!
That may not be much or may be a lot depending on how old you are now! :lol:

In other news, of course the very same week I want to get serious about drawing fur, suddenly we're busy :lol: :roll: Spent Saturday with my dad, Sunday having a Harry Potter weekend all day (going to bed at 2:00 a.m. :lol: ), going to a doctor appointment with grandma, spending half a day in town, going to an orientation for Health Adventures.... Too much time in a car and too much time sitting still! I've been more inclined to ride my bike to get my penned up energy out than drawing! At least things are going to settle down now for a while again. Around my house there's either not busy, or very busy, no in between, and when we see activity it comes in days at a time bursts of it before becoming not busy again :lol: :shock: :roll:
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

This is currently my favorite picture of Max. Have fun with the wrinkles! Haha :lol: :wink:
--dontpugme
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ooooh lookit those wrinkles!

Buddy'sMyBoy - I have about 16 years on you - I started out drawing horses, and nothing BUT horses as I was absolutely mad about them (still am, funny that my Dad told me when i was bout 10, I would grow out of them..... I didn't but HE now adores horses too! teehee).

These days when I do it, I love drawing just about anything - its also a good idea to push yourself to draw things you wouldn't normally bother with. A really good friend of mine once challenged me to find the detail in a brick wall, and we both sat and drew this wall for about 45 minutes. We both came up wtih really different pictures too. He was an odd boy :lol:

That was one of my failings really - horses are easy to draw, there is something about the form of a horse, the movement, the musculature that is just beautiful, and to me at least, begs to be drawn. Drawing the less obviously 'beautiful' things is harder as you have to push yourself to see their detail!
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

emmabeth wrote:Ooooh lookit those wrinkles!

Buddy'sMyBoy - I have about 16 years on you - I started out drawing horses, and nothing BUT horses as I was absolutely mad about them (still am, funny that my Dad told me when i was bout 10, I would grow out of them..... I didn't but HE now adores horses too! teehee).

These days when I do it, I love drawing just about anything - its also a good idea to push yourself to draw things you wouldn't normally bother with. A really good friend of mine once challenged me to find the detail in a brick wall, and we both sat and drew this wall for about 45 minutes. We both came up wtih really different pictures too. He was an odd boy :lol:

That was one of my failings really - horses are easy to draw, there is something about the form of a horse, the movement, the musculature that is just beautiful, and to me at least, begs to be drawn. Drawing the less obviously 'beautiful' things is harder as you have to push yourself to see their detail!
Wow, that's a lot more experience than me :lol: Certainly encouraging to keep practicing though.

emmabeth, have you ever heard of howrse.com? As the name suggests, it is a website all about horses and folks who adore them :wink:
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

How much can somebody do in two weeks? :? Well, as it turns out, they can have their grandma go to the hospital, help in building a fence, spend several days in town, spend half of four days in a hospital learning, spend a day with their dad on a custody day, and spend hours comforting a dog terrified of gunshots because the neighbors seemed to be having a gun firing convention just a few doors down. I'll be honest, I've hardly had any time to sit down and focus on drawing at all! :(
emmabeth, I started some rough outlines on yours I got so excited seeing the different furs, but after seeing PikiPiki's dog's face fur I fell in love with the challenge so I've spent a lot more time on it, but it still is only about 50% complete. I'm hoping that I'll have it done in the next 3-4 days (cousins are coming for a visit tomorrow- one more thing to distract me!). I'll be honest, I've been a lot more busy than I was ever anticipating when I first decided to start this study. I'm not going to say that hopefully things will settle down soon- I might jinx it!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hey, you are busy - it's all good!

If you are pushed, just pick a section out from each dog that is particularly interesting - there is nothing like getting stuck in a HUGE boring expanse of fur that alllllll looks the same, to put you off it for ages!
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

emmabeth wrote:Hey, you are busy - it's all good!

If you are pushed, just pick a section out from each dog that is particularly interesting - there is nothing like getting stuck in a HUGE boring expanse of fur that alllllll looks the same, to put you off it for ages!
I've discovered that I am enjoying drawing fur in the dark; my eyes are better able to pick out the darker areas so it is easier to draw. It also seems to help keep the fur from looking all the same because even the slightly darker tones stick out :) This is helping me keep interested in drawing fur that allllll looks the same because I can easily see that it's NOT all the same- although I'm not sure how good this is for my eyes :roll: Thanks for understanding my delay :wink: