so cross

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

so cross

Post by meggit »

i wish i had, had the guts to shout at the man that was screaming and shouting at his dog earlier, it was a young golden retriever that had by the looks of it escaped as they do given half a chance :( i had seen the dog at my gate and buddy was shouting at it and it was just looking at buddy as if he was crazy :) then he went back off on his grand adventure closley followed by two men shouting at it (owners) so off he ran again (cant say as i blame the poor thing) any way about an hour later he must have caught the dog and thats when the shouting started he was holding the dogs face and shaking it from side to side poor dog was just sitting there with a very frightened look about him (allthough i can read buddy fairly well now other dogs i can only see the obvious) any way i so wanted to go out and stop him but OH wouldnt let me he said we cant stop other people from mistreating their dogs just make sure no one ever does it to ours,
just needed to write this as it upset me a lot woujld any of you gone out and told him off
Nettle

Re: so cross

Post by Nettle »

I think we have to pick our fights, and you would be no good to your own dog if the guy had swung a punch at you and hurt you. You can't reason with people who are mad at something and embarrassed. Their minds are not in that quarter.

Maybe you could talk to him later and offer help when he has calmed down, or maybe you are better to keep out of his way.

Don't be cross with yourself or your husband. Self-preservation is a good thing, and we need to look after our own first.

I cannot guarantee always to take my own good advice :roll: but there is a time and a place to tackle people, and we should never put ourselves in danger if we can help it unless for a good result. You would not have got a good result if you had gone over and given this man what for, and he would probably have taken it out on the dog later.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Post by meggit »

thanks nettle for the sound advise but i did feel so sorry for the poor dog
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

and in the meantime we can let 'wyatt earp" do what we all wish we could from time to time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMgp97cO ... F2&index=1

fast forward to about 7:40
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It is also worth bearing in mind that if you embarrass or wind someone up by having a go at them, even if you are super polite about it, you can make it much worse for the dog as they may well go home and lay into it out of sight.

In the past I have had a go, I once got hit in teh face with a dog lead for my troubles so I do urge caution. These days I wouldn't dare risk my health unfortunately :(

I too have been astounded by peoples behaviour, though this time they were just blatantly not understanding their dog (or anyone elses)a nd were rude to me.

I braved walking three of mine on a local field with my OH, and we had Ellie, Dilly and Errol running about offlead. I was sat on a little grassy hillock watching them play because having got to the field my heart was telling me i had done FAR too much (I have heart failure.. im not spoooooosed to do stuff like that!)...

So I spy a couple coming along with a labrador, off lead and its trundling about, and they see me and mine and make no move to put it on the lead so I think fine, ok, their dog is fine, mine are fine. Mike caught errol and put him on lead and took him away because he can be odd with people so it isnt worth the risk. Dilly and Ellie trundled over to say hello..

All nice polite doggy greetings, Dilly doing contained bouncing (just on the one spot, a few inches off the ground) at the Labrador, because he wanted it to play, but knows its ROOD to jump on other dogs, Ellie did her finest play bow, bum in the air, elbows on the ground and then let out a 'Grrrrrrrrrrrwoooooooooo' noise, which means 'come play come play, CHASE ME'.. and set off running with the labrador wheezing after her (it was huge)...

And then the couple started squawking and leashed their dog and started shouting at mine to go away, which flummoxed them entirely.. so I recalled them and they came, but as the couple were still walking towards me (still sat down, wasn't in a fit state to get up), they went back, and then came back to me so i grabbed them..

And the sarky madam says 'Ooh your dogs are NASTY, get off your bum and get some dog leads'. I was utterly speechless for a second.. cheeky yes, nasty, no and their dog desperately wanted to play! So I said 'sorry, has your dog got a health problem that means he can't play', and they said 'no, he just doesn't like being ATTACKED...'

Anyway then she said something horrid about me being lazy (still sat on me hillock, still wheezing and tachycardic though I appreciate SHE didn't know that) so I lost me rag a bit and suggested she concentrate on getting her own dog thin enough to actually play rather than wheeze its way round the field!

I really am astounded that people can completely misread blatantly friendly, polite greetings and invitations from other dogs AND misread their own dogs so badly. Their dog was straining backwards on the lead as they left, desperate to get back and attempt to play chasey chasey with mine!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Sorry to hijack, but have you had your operation yet Emmabeth?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Not yet - keep getting told different things by different consultants! Grr. Very annoying!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Ok Emma understand that. My step granddaughter had heart surgery just after birth. Surgeons said it would need doing again in ten years time - they got round to it 16 years later. She was fine though, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Don't forget to keep us informed.