A New Stage for Me

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nightsrainfall

A New Stage for Me

Post by nightsrainfall »

Hey all,

I'm settling into a new job, a new place, (very-very far away from where I was previous), and basically a new stage now that I'm out of college. My job is in my field (engineer) and the main office has fairly nice hours. As a requirement for my job, I will have to travel, temporary move, and relocate for extended periods (travel could be a few days to a week, relocation could be 3 years). Thus again, no dog for me because that would be very unfair to the animal in my opinion. I have, however, found an animal shelter to volunteer at here to continue gaining exposure to both dogs and people with dog questions/problems, and there is also a training school near by that does kind of a 'dog-intern' program for shadowing and assisting trainers. At the moment I cannot guarantee my schedule enough to join their intern program, nor do I have the funds for their classes- but it is something I am probably going to look into in the future (if I still keep up the goal of becoming a trainer of sorts). Because of my previous experience at the last shelter I volunteered at (and the very nice letter they sent to this one) I was able to work something out with them that I can have a more flexible schedule given that if I leave for an extended period of time, I'll take a two hour "refresher" course on their policies.

I also should state that I have neither cable nor internet at the place I'm living. Right now I'm using the community center's, and I figure not having it directly at my apartment will keep me a bit more productive, especially consider I work longer days than I use to. And although I may not be responding as much, I probably will be reading - there's always something new to learn, or another opinion on a matter!

Anyway, just wanted to share. I still like dogs and love working with them and their owners, but we will see where I actually end up. :-)
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
thepennywhistle

Re: A New Stage for Me

Post by thepennywhistle »

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like it is going to be exciting and challenging,
what with all that moving about. Wishing you all the best as you set out on this new
path. I'm glad to hear that you have already figured out how to stay in touch with the
creatures. It would be terrible to have to live without dog hugs altogether, but it sounds
like you've got that taken care of. The place will be lucky to have you, and I'm sure they'll
figure that out very quickly!
jakesmom

Post by jakesmom »

Hope it all goes well for you Anna, sounds like you're going to be busy, and good luck getting to know your new four legged friends. :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

congrats on the the job. get your self established post college, that's important. when the time is right, a dog will be waiting for you.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

So pleased for you - this is the beginning of the rest of your life :D I went through this phase too and, you know, you learn a lot more from working with a variety of dogs, it's good sometimes not to have to take them home, and as jacksdad says, a dog will come along when the time is right. And you will be all the happier to have one and make the sacrifices that involves because you have had a spell without one, when you could be spontaneous, work long hours, go on holiday, and not worry about The Dog.

Keep in touch when you can!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS