Courses and good trainers

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Liv

Courses and good trainers

Post by Liv »

Hi,
I live in North London and my husband runs a dog walking company. Its a great business and gives our two dogs a really lovely quality of life.
I have just given up my job and am going to join him. Terrified but so excited. We have obtained a large plot of land just outside of North London, and are in the process of making it totally secure for our day care centre.
This is all happening and is very exciting.
However, I would also like to train to become more of an expert. I have read many many books, been around a huge amount of dog, dealt with behaviour problems etc. However, I would like to get more formal training.
My questions are as follows;
1) are there any really worthwhile behaviour and training courses?
2) how does one go about getting the relevant experience to be a really great trainer/ behaviourist?
3) does anyone know of any good dog trainers near North London, Essex who would be interested in a venue do hold Saturday classes? I am interested in finding people who teach agility, puppy classes and adult dog classes?
Thanks for any help you can give me on the above.
jacksdad

Re: Courses and good trainers

Post by jacksdad »

here is one possible source for learning about dog training and behavior. its a online course, but don't let that turn you off. Jean is the real deal and the format she is now uses is used by a lot of colleges these days.

http://www.academyfordogtrainers.com/

If nothing else the book list would be helpful.

getting relevant experience...that comes by a combination of academic study and just "doing it", within the scope of your current knowledge and skill of course.

learning to train your own dog and solve it's issues is always the best place to start. your dog walking business will also give you a start in this...Victoria got her start as a dog walker and it built from there.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11503 is a link with some of the books that target some of the more common issues seen here, them and just about anything the authors write are worth reading.
Liv

Post by Liv »

Wow, that's nearly $5000!! :shock: Is that what courses cost!
Thank you though, it looks interesting.
Bit out of my price range though. I am not anti online, but perhaps not at that price at the moment.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.
Labsrule

Post by Labsrule »

Hello, you could try looking on the Assosiation of Pet Dog Trainers website, they have courses nationwide and offer a qualification and positive methods. Good luck.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I would pay Jean's $5000 in a heart beat...if I had the money. of course by the time I have the money, probably wouldn't need to take the course.

you don't need to pay anyone to learn. paying to learn from someone else in theory prevents reinventing the wheel and gets you up to speed faster. BUT you don't have to go that route. books and practical experience, getting out and observing and working with dogs works too. besides, where do you think some of the experts got their knowledge before there were schools for this...food for thought.
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

The problem with getting some form of qualification to be a trainer is there isn't any to get.

You can find a host of other trainers who will sell you their own courses (some good, some bad) but there is no offical, do x course and be a trainer, available.

City and guilds will give you a diploma in work based animal care and approve the kennel clubs accredited instructor scheme (http://www.cityandguilds.com/46960.html?s=2 http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/kcai/).

Nottingham university run an amazing training course for clinical behavourists (http://asab.nottingham.ac.uk/) but the entry qualifications are based around the vetinary route (http://asab.nottingham.ac.uk/accred/academic.php).

As it stands, anyone can print off a buisness card, open a website and charge a fortune to teach you to become a (trainer, behavourist, dog-whisperer) like them. Charge what they like and give you a nice shiny certificate for your wall.

IMO to become a good trainer, you need to practise. Allot. Volunteer at shelters, try and find a good training class and volunteer there. Learn from every source you can, but question every method and motive you see. You'll soon find that training the dogs is easy. Its the owners that are the problem. Does anyone know a good course to learn people skills?
Liv

Post by Liv »

Haha yes that is what I am very nervous about. Paying a fortune and being taught rubbish.
Great advice though, I already volunteer at a shelter. I have 2 staffies both rescues, one who has been a bit of a challenge at times. And due to the fact that we have been running this business for coming up to 2 years we are surrounded by dogs all the time - different breeds temperaments etc etc. So I guess I am a bit on my way.
I would like to get a diploma though. I quite enjoy studying, and I think that a diploma would help with reassuring clients. In regards to people - yes thats the hard bit!! However, I have been working in sales and management for the last 10 years so hopefully I should be able to talk to people a bit.
I am looking at getting trainers in to start giving classes on a Saturday in agility and obedience to get some experience that way and also utilise the land. That should give me some experience too.
However, it is not easy around us to find someone who I like. I was having that problem with my dogs. Still shows me that there is a gap in the market for a reward based 'kind' trainer, rather than some of the ones who I have come across who I wouldnt let anywhere near my dog.
What about 'must read' books? Anyone have any suggestions? I have already read a number but if you can recommend some that would be great.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Hi Liv, why not have a word with the people that are helping Mica, she is making really good progress as well as being such a stunning looking girl. :lol: You have plenty of dogs to get first hand experience with you basically need the theory.

Also have a look in the articles section, there is a lot of information in there that may help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
minkee

Post by minkee »

You might have been blinded by the $5k course that jacksdad linked :P further down in his post he recommended this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11503 which has a great recommended reading list.

If you can't find a 'positively' school of thought trainer, then I can say that if you stick around on this forum, read all you can, follow all the articles, and so on, you will learn SO much. That's what I've been doing these last few months and I feel so much better informed in all ways.

And good luck in your venture! It sounds like a great thing to do, really exciting, and I'm sure you'll learn an awful lot and I hope it all goes really well for you :)
ImageImage