dog wont wee when out walking

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

max's mum

dog wont wee when out walking

Post by max's mum »

I have a 3½ month dalmation who wont go for a wee when taken for walk. He will wee in the garden fine and before and after walk but not when out. We have had this dalmation from being 8 weeks. When we walk him he will smell the lamp-posts but has no inclination of going.

We have had a rescue dalmation before. When we got him he was 9 month's and we had him until he died at 12½ years and when we first got him he wee'd outside when walking straight away.

If anyone can offer any idea when he will start I would appreciate it.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

my beagle pup does this - now instead of taking her to the garden when she wakes up for a nap, I grab her lead get my shoes on and go for a walk. She has to pee outside! Try and time walks with when you know he needs to go to the toilet, loads of praise and treats for doing it outside - same as for toilet training in the garden. My girl is 16 weeks and has just started going for a wee when on a walk
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

The big wide world is a fearful place and a dog is vulnerable at the point when it empties itself. Therefore he doesn't -yet - feel safe enough to wee out walking.

Don't worry - one day he will. When depends on him. Just ignore, and make sure he goes to the garden before and after his walks.