Hunting with dogs

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mattie

Re: Hunting with dogs

Post by Mattie »

If I remember right badgers were at one time endangered species, there wasn't many left in the country so they became protected to try and get their numbers up. Once their numbers came up farmers were complaining they were infecting their cows, I am not sure but I don't think this has been proved yet. The government at that time decided to cull the badgers by gassing them, then poisoning, both were then classed as cruel and the badgers suffered. I don't know what happens now.

Just after I moved to West Yorkshire it was on the TV that hares were declining at a great rate, the only places were hares were successful and healthy was were they were hunted, in these areas their idea living conditions was protected so they thrived.

It was the otter hunts who first started to scream about the otters declining, the hunts fought to keep them fit and healthy in their areas as well as encourage them breeding, eventually they got the government to listen and otter hunting was banned, these hunts then started to hunt mink.

I may be wrong with this but at one time I did try to keep up to date with it all, haven't for quite a few years now.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How hunting with dogs benefits our knowledge of dogs:

Learning dog body language as they pass through the different stages of finding, flushing, following, scent getting stronger or weaker, searching and finding or losing it again. This means that dogs are programmed to 'abort the mission' if it becomes hopeless. It is so important to understand this when training. Dogs that hunt know when to press on and when to quit.

Knowing the difference between prey drive and chase drive :wink:

Understanding that a dog that hunts and catches wildlife is NOT dangerous, vicious or aggressive. It is a normal dog.

Understanding that if someone gets a hunting type as a pet, it has a need to hunt that must be honoured in some way.

Understanding that a vet that says beagles can't get wet is mistaken :roll:

Understanding about dogs working as a pack, and working singly, proving that a pack is a democracy as far as hunting goes

Understanding that dogs have been used to hunt to provide and protect food for people for countless centuries, and that dogs that are bred to catch food do not damage the meat (none of this 'torn to pieces' rubbish).

Understanding that dogs love hunting and would rather hunt than eat.

Add more as you see fit :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

"Understanding that a vet that says beagles can't get wet is mistaken " yes LOL!!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I would LOVE to have the opportunity to watch intact dogs on a hunt. catch in on video the works and to be able to then compare it to dogs that are having aggression (fear based or other ) issues.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

jacksdad wrote:I would LOVE to have the opportunity to watch intact dogs on a hunt. catch in on video the works and to be able to then compare it to dogs that are having aggression (fear based or other ) issues.

People would be so surprised at what they saw, Jacksdad. As soon as their job is done, they are totally chilled. They look at you with glowing eyes for an instant of pride, then the mood is relaxed and nonchalant. They lie down, scratch, roll, stretch, look at you again and say "Didn't we do well?" wag their tails and nuzzle you.

runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I've heard there's never any fighting between these male dogs but then I did hear there can be scraps when food is chucked into them which is natural I suppose (maybe told an inaccuracy about that).

I had the chance to walk with a young male and female fox hound pup with my male dog once. They were lovely dogs. Very good natured like I mentioned earlier.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Just imagine how much exercise the hounds get, they have to get a lot to be as fit as they are, we all know just how much exercise contributes to relaxed dogs. Hopefully in a few months time I will be able to take my dogs for long walks again, I just can't wait.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In UK, working packs are fed to a strict discipline, and not one is allowed to snarl at another without being rebuked and controlled. But mostly they feed in harmony. Food isn't thrown to them - there is a special feeding lodge and hounds are called into it.

First the shy feeders and the pregnant are called out, to eat their fill without harassment

Then the body of the pack

Then the on-heat b itches

Feeding is supervised by the huntsman or kennelman, so that any problems are seen and dealt with at once, and any hound whose appetite is lacking is checked for illness.

That's 100+ hounds on average.

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

There is a good film around, though whether its viewable by anyone outside the uk I am not sure (though potentially you could buy the dvd, I believe there is one), http://www.horseandcountry.tv/episode/hounds-huntsman if you cant watch, its called The Hounds and the Huntsman and its made by a guy called Michael Slowe

Very interesting to watch and you will be frankly, amazed at the control the guy has over his hounds, especially in the scenes with the super cute baby deer who, mummy having fled, is convinced that the pack are her new friends and is intent on following them!

Anyway I am putting this thread to bed now cos I think we have all had our say and learned some stuff. THats not to say we cant revisit it another time and by no means is the subject out of bounds, its just tidier this way :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant