wheels: good or bad?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

beverleyDogsToday

wheels: good or bad?

Post by beverleyDogsToday »

We're just working on an article about dog carts - the wheels for dogs with failing back legs.

We've already got quite a few people who think they're great, but we know there are people who don't.

Do you have a strong opinion or any relevant personal experience?

What would you do if your dog's back legs started to fail?

Check out the blog: http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/2008/02 ... -idea.html

Best wishes
Beverley
Dogs Today
Check out my blog: http://www.coldwetnose.blogspot.com/
Thinking of buying a dog?:
http://www.dialadog.co.uk - for excellent advice
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have a friend who has had 2 dogs with failing back legs, one hated the cart and was really miserable with it so my friend didn't force her, she let her go but her other dog loved the cart, took on a new lease of life and was able to join in the long walks again provided that the ground was suitable.

For me it would depend on the dog, if they enjoyed it then I would let her use one, if she hated it, I wouldn't force her. It isn't nice to see your dog like that, but it wasn't nice to see my husband have to be pushed round in a wheelchair after his stroke. It is about quality of life for them, and not about us not liking what we see.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

I would pts I'm afraid. Sorry if this offends anyone but that's what I'd do.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

thistledown wrote:I would pts I'm afraid. Sorry if this offends anyone but that's what I'd do.
Me too. As Mattie said, it's quality of life for the dog that counts.

I've seen quite a few dogs on wheels. Their owners tell me how 'happy' the dogs are. The dogs look bewildered and miserable. This level of incapacity usually means incontinence too, and the dogs hate it.

However awful it is for a human to be crippled, they have inner resources to deal with it: the ability to enjoy reading, the computer, listening to music etc etc.

The dog that was once able to run with joy falls over or gets its cart caught just as it thinks it can still run: it falls and pulls its joints about struggling, and doesn't know how this happened. Then indoors at home again it can't run any more, it has to lie in its own filth or wait for the owner to remember to take it out and clean its hindquarters afterwards.

There are also issues of other dogs' reactions. Dogs don't relate to infirmity in other dogs.

IMO when a dog can no longer be happy as a dog and enjoy its life as a dog, then it is time to say goodbye, I love you, this is why.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The dog that was once able to run with joy falls over or gets its cart caught just as it thinks it can still run: it falls and pulls its joints about struggling, and doesn't know how this happened. Then indoors at home again it can't run any more, it has to lie in its own filth or wait for the owner to remember to take it out and clean its hindquarters afterwards.
This is not the time to start using the wheels, by this time it is too late. I know my friend's dog was never at this stage when she had the wheels. Usually when a dog is this bad, they don't have the muscles in their front legs to pull themselves along. Her dogs were all able to get about in the house and didn't need to be carried outside to potty, they may have been wobbly but they were able to go themselves.

The time to use a cart is earlier, when the dog still has some muscle in his front, is still enjoying some life and is able to enjoy going out with the other dogs providing the surface is suitable. Expecting a dog to pull a cart when the ground is uneven, bushest etc, won't do the dog any good.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Some dogs, yes its great for them.

I met a lovely little dog who was born with a fairly severe degree of paralysis (either htat or it happened as a pup, i am not sure and have not seen her owner online for many years)..

She loved her wheels and was extremely nimble in them - first time ive ever seen a dog with wheels instead of legs go straight up a 4ft wall, expertly and without crashing.

When she did get stuck her whole attitude was 'oi, mother... extract me for there are bunnies to chase' and not a hint of 'eek panic help'.

She was used to her condition and was a young and otherwise fit dog, and she was also not in pain, and not incontinent.

I do feel that often these are a last ditch attempt come too late from owners who cannot let go, and I think in those instances, it is bad news for the dog as the owner can then continue to ignore what they really need to open their eyes to.

I have dogs i would consider them for, and dogs i wouldnt even dream of it, it is so very dependant on the dog, their age, the reason they need them etc.

But really and truly, being PTS is not the worst thing for a dog. Its the worst thing for the human, so we must always ask ourselves, who is this truly benefitting?
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

I agree with a few of the above post's I would also PTS
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I think it depends on the situation. I used to work in a canine hydrotherapy pool, and saw a number of dogs with wheels. Some of them were young, fit and healthy, but couldn't use their back legs due to a spinal injury. These usually did exceptionally well with wheels, one dachsund in particular was quite happy charging around woods and fields, and would regularly "attack" bigger dogs, being in and out without them even realising, just like any other small dog! The dogs who had wheels due to infirmity didn't do so well, they seemed to become depressed, probably because there were other issues in their general health as well as needing wheels. I do not particularly agree with front wheels, I think this is much harder to adapt to for the dog. It also depends on the tye of wheels, there are many which limit movement , prevent lying down etc., but the best are sprung to enable the dog to sit and lie down in the same way it did before.

To summarise, I don't agree with using wheels in an infirm dog which the owner wants to keep a bit longer, but don't have any problem with them for younger/disabled dogs PROVIDING that they adapt happily to the use.
spanielsrule

Post by spanielsrule »

I have to say I think it depends on the individual dog and the brand of cart. My GSD had CDRM, and I bought a cart for her to use for walks. She could still get about in the house and garden, but her wheels meant that she was able to run around like she used to do. Gemma was fitted for her cart at the same time and place as another GSD, and while the other dog looked a bit confused and didn't seem to like the cart, my Gemma took to it immediately. This was an Eddie's Wheels cart, and this design allows dogs to still use the back legs, if they are able, while giving stability. I could ramble on about Gemma for ages, but I'll keep it short. She was an amazingly brave dog, and I did a lot of other things to help her condition, including acupuncture, homeopathy, drugs, supplements, a special coat, boots. As a result, she lived a lot longer than the vet expected. She was only pts when she became incontinent, and I knew that she was distressed. Until then, she had a good quality of life, but to keep her any longer would have been selfish. I accept that this may not be right for all dogs and owners, but if you had seen my Gemma running along, you would have known it was right for her.
"No matter how little money, and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." (Louis Sabin)
LBF
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I would give it a try if it were something like the dog was hit by a car or born without the use of his legs. If his legs were failing due to age I don't think it would be in the best interest of the dog to go against the shutting down of his body, I would then PTS. I don't see why in the case of injury or mutation of the legs you wouldn't try it, I'm sure the dog would adapt as he would to having three legs.
spanielsrule

Post by spanielsrule »

Maxy24, I'm not sure if your post suggests that my dog's condition was due to "age" and "her body shutting down". Forgive me if I have misunderstood. Her condition, CDRM, meant that she was perfectly fit apart from her control of her back legs. She couldn't tell where she was placing her feet and would wobble. She had an amazing zest for life, and lived another 16 or so months, able to play and run. I don't see that this is any different to a dog with an injury. I accept that in the last week of her life, her body was "shutting down", and that was when I made my decision to let her go.
"No matter how little money, and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." (Louis Sabin)
LBF
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

<mod>

I dont think anyone was getting at you spanielsrule, I realise this is a sensitive issue for those of us who have had dogs with CDRM or have old dogs who are starting to fail, but I can only see in Maxy24's post a personal opinion regarding what they would do with their own dogs.

FAO Everyone - can we all respect one anothers opinions even if we must agree to differ. We all do our best for our dogs based on our OWN personal knowledge of that dog, and what we would do for one we may well not even consider for another.

Play nice... mmkay!
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I'm sorry I did not mean to aim my post at anything specific just generally in what situations I would use the wheels and in what situations I would not. As far as body shutting down I was referring more to a dog who stops walking with his back legs when he starts to die as my dog and my uncle's two dogs did, they were old and were failing and I would not have tried to lengthen their lives with wheels when they were clearly ready to die.

To speak specifically for what you have described if she has simply lost the use of her back legs and has no pain due to the condition (I don't know anything about her condition sorry) I would see it as any dog who has been paralyzed in her back legs due to a birth defect, I would try the wheels myself but it's really up to the owner and dog.
spanielsrule

Post by spanielsrule »

Thanks for replies. Sorry - I was being over-sensitive.
:oops:
LBF
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

spanielsrule wrote:Thanks for replies. Sorry - I was being over-sensitive.
:oops:
Worry not. tis easy done on the internet and as Em says its a sensitive subject where emotions run high, so I am sure everyone understands. :D