crappy end to the day...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

crappy end to the day...

Post by jacksdad »

well Jack decied that the advice to eat chocolate and relax applies to him. one of my kids left their bedroom door open :evil: :evil: when we left for a dinner out and in the room was 4 or 5 dark chocolate bars + some other candy...which of course he ate.

soooo, he is spending the night at the vet. he responded quickly to the induced vomiting, but his heart rate was already up so they wanted to monitor him.
chay

Re: crappy end to the day...

Post by chay »

oh jacksdad, sorry to hear :( good to know he's at the vet where he needs to be, and is responding quickly to treatment.

just goes to show no matter how careful we are, sometimes these things do happen! i guess you should be glad jack didn't take the 'bottle of wine' suggestion to heart as well! :P
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fingers crossed for all okay. Assume child now knows that last-minute bookings to -anywhere- are dirt cheap just now :roll: :lol:

Keep us posted - **positivehealingvibes** for Jack
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Fingers x for Jack, you've done the right thing and got him to the right place and not done as SO many do do, 'oh well lets wait and see' and underestimated the risk to save some costs...

Hopefully thats a lesson the relevant child won't forget ina hurry (or I recommend a one way ticket to the other side of the world hehehe! big loooooong time out for children!)

Hugs for you all!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh no, fingers crossed Jack is okay. Let us know how he gets on.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Reiki on the way for Jack and a HUG from me, I am old enough to be your mum so can hug you. :lol:

I would get some charcoal tablets from a health shop, they can be given to Jack if he does this again, hopefully he won't but if he does, the charcoal can be working as you rush him to the vets.

Child's pocket money to be stopped until the vet bill has been paid. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Sorry to hear about Jack, Jacksdad! :( I'm glad you got him to the vet in time! :shock: I hope he's doing fine and wish him well, so please give him a hug for me and here's a )))HUG((( for you! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

thanks everyone. said child is in 20's or I would have been double checking doors before we left.

once I was told dark chocolate and how many, it was instant on the phone to the vet for advice. I don't wait around on something like this.

Having pet insurence makes is even easier to just get him in and say "ok, whatever" so to speak when they hand you the quote and proposed treatment plan.

as for sending "child on trip/time out"...hummmm. :twisted: and at his age it wouldn't get me in trouble with the authorities :twisted:

fortunatly the time from eating the bars to time of induced vomite was about 2 hours, maybe a little less. But with changing his food to Evo, his recent diahrreah and now this. I am really getting an education in how quickly in some ways dogs process food, and in others how long it takes.

with Evo, it is pretty normal for him to only need to empty his bowels once a day. But with the chocolate, even the 2 hours tops in his system was long enough to have proceesed enough start effecting his heart rate.

Now it's just waiting for the vet update...*taps findgers*
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Positive Thoughts your way!

((hugs))
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh dear. I'm glad it looks like Jack is going to pull through, thanks to quick acting on your part. Now you should hit the 20 year old up for a good portion of the vet costs-- he's old enough now to start taking financial accountability for his mistakes-- and then perhaps he'll be better at remembering to be more responsible. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Oh not to worry, he understands the financial consequences of choices, actions, in action, forgetfulness etc. Have made sure that lesson was learned a while ago.

Well, Jack is home and zonked out on the bed sleeping.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

jacksdad wrote:Well, Jack is home and zonked out on the bed sleeping.
That's the most important part, that Jack (and you) are home and safe and all will be well.
It was so good that 20-year-old confessed to the chocolate raid by Jack so you skipped the
"what's wrong with Jack?" stage and went right to getting him help. These things seem to
happen no matter how vigilant we are. I'm just glad it's had a positive ending for you all.
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Sorry to hear about Jack's mishap.... how worrying for you, glad he's home now and he's on the road to recovery.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

So glad to hear that Jack has made it back home safe and sound. At least you were told what had happened so you could get help quickly.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Glad to hear Jack is home and sleeping, Jacksdad! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown