Which slogan would YOU pay more attention to?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Which slogan would YOU pay more attention to?

Post by ladybug1802 »

I have seen some reflective dog vests which have various slogans on, or you can have your own slogan added. They are simply reflective, and do up around the belly. Now, I would like to know which of the following slogans, if you saw a dog wearing, would be most likely to make you stay away and not try to chat to or speak to the dog:-

DO NOT TOUCH (complete with symbol of a hand in a circle with a line across it)

PLEASE IGNORE ME (probably with same symbol)

This is an example:-

http://www.bonniedogs.co.uk/dog-clothin ... ests-p1296

I know they essentially mean the same thing, but am unsure which one to choose!! I just want one for if we, for example, go to a horse show or walk through a busy town. I went to a horse show on Sunday, just a little riding club one, to watch a friend, and I would have taken Dylan if I had had one of these, so I didnt have to constantly make sure nobody tried to touch him! Ironically though, when i went to my agility show, nobody even tried to....clearly horse owners are not as savvy!!
Sarah83

Re: Which slogan would YOU pay more attention to?

Post by Sarah83 »

I personally would pay attention to either of them and leave the dog alone. Unfortunately other people don't seem to. In fact I found it made the issue worse as I'd get all these "but dogs love me!" people coming up to me and trying to make friends with Shadow who wanted nothing to do with them and made it very clear. Plus there are people who don't understand it,whether because of a language barrier or becuase they're too young to know what it means or whatever. You would STILL have to have eyes in the back of your head and be vigilant even if Dylan was wearing this.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah yes Sarah I would still keep a very close eye, but just figured it might make it a LITTLE easier....coz Dylan looks just so damn cute that I reckon people find it hard to believe he wilol snap at them if they try to touch him!
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I have a similar problem with Rupert and other dogs. According to several people "he doesn't look aggressive" :roll: Dunno what an aggressive dog is supposed to look like, maybe Rupe should be a Staffie or Rottie? Dylan's freaked out by people staring at him isn't he? That could be a problem with a vest or whatever with something written on it as I've found people tend to stare at it and possiby even lean in to read it. I've found a muzzle to be the best way of convincing normal people they do NOT want to touch my dog which is unfortunate as Rupe actually likes to be worshipped by random strangers.

In all honesty (and please don't take this the wrong way) I'd be very hesitant to take a dog who was reactive to people touching or looking at him to a crowded event. I know from experience that having to be on guard makes things far less enjoyable and I'd worry about whether it was fair or stressful to the dog.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I know what you mean Sarah, and it wouldnt be all the time, but as strange as it is Dylan actually enjoys going to things like this. And he is better when around other dogs. I wouldnt take him to busy shows or anything like that, but this one on Sunday was a small one in a massive field with not many competitors! This was really just something to have on him occasionally as a 'safety net'.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

ladybug1802 wrote:I have seen some reflective dog vests which have various slogans on, or you can have your own slogan added. They are simply reflective, and do up around the belly. Now, I would like to know which of the following slogans, if you saw a dog wearing, would be most likely to make you stay away and not try to chat to or speak to the dog:-

DO NOT TOUCH (complete with symbol of a hand in a circle with a line across it)

PLEASE IGNORE ME (probably with same symbol)
If you are talking about the many idiots who have dogs or who think they adore dogs then neither, it will only make them want to know why. "Dog in training" you may be able to add "please ignore" may work better as it is telling people why not to approach them. You may be asked what your dog is training for, that can be anything.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

There is actually one which says "Dog in Training. Please ignore" or something along those lines. I had veered away from that as thought it might not be perecived as " as serious" as the other ones....but yes I see what you mean!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've been thinking of this for some time, but we are up against some very dumb humans here. I like the hand/red circle device very much and am tempted to say you should have some with a slogan of $%^& off I hate you :lol:

The human mind is such that when it reads it does not see negatives well, so 'Do Not Touch' tends to read as 'Do Touch' and 'This Is Not The Warden's Office' is seen as 'The Warden's Office'. How annoying is that!

So - between us we need a short snappy positive slogan that delivers the message - but I can't think of one just now :? I'm sure others will.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

That made me laugh out loud Nettle!! I would LOVE to put something like that on the vest - brilliant!!!
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

Could you get a "DOG IN TRAINING" vest with the symbol?

Sometimes when dogs wear vests (at least here in USA) people think service dog, if you have Dog in Training vest, they may not touch or play with your dog because they might assume you are training it for service work. Around here a lot of the college kids work with Leader Dog and raise the service dogs and take them to classes. The vests the dog wear say in training for Blind or Deaf work (or something like that) and most won't approach the dog nor touch them.

But I agree with everyone else, some people always ignore vests.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

There is a vest whichj sayd "DOG IN TRAINING. IGNORE ME" with an "L PLate" symbol.

Could always get the same slogan but with the crossed out hand symbol?

Or maybe I should just get "I HATE STRANGERS - IGNORE ME!"????
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Or maybe I should just get "I HATE STRANGERS - IGNORE ME!"????
That's just asking for the "dogs love me!" brigade to come over and try to force themselves on Dylan imo. These people simply don't believe that a dog does not want to make friends with them. I'd go with the dog in training if I were to get a vest, even that won't stop everyone but at least you're not issueing a challenge to anyone that way :lol: (I know your intent isn't to issue a challenge to anyone but that's how people seem to see it when you say "oh my dog doesn't like strangers", they go "oh but all dogs love me!" and start trying to force themselves on your dog. Highly annoying.)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have a friend who got a JRT when he was 4 weeks old, they didn't want to take her then but the breeder wouldn't keep her for another 2 weeks, he would sell her to the first person who would take her so they took her. They didn't have the experience to turn Lottie into a normal dog and didn't know any good adult dogs to help, so they have a dog that will bite everyone who attempts to touch her. If you ignore her you are fine. There is a lady who insists on stroking Lottie, everytime she does she gets bitten but she never learns. Lottie's parents keep telling her not to touch her but she refuses. All this idiot says is that dogs like her and they don't bite her, Lottie does. :lol: I can't wait until she tries this with Cyril, he will have a ball, he doesn't bite but could easily knock her over.

You can't protect stupid people no matter what you do but as Sarah says, putting something like "I HATE STRANGERS - IGNORE ME!"????" will encourage stupid to try, don't forget, you can't cure stupid. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I'm just wondering if they have one with both "Do Not Touch" AND the hand in a circle with a diagonal line going through the hand? :?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yep that was one of the ones I was considering..... :)