Sore Tail - SOS!!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Sore Tail - SOS!!!

Post by Ocelot0411 »

A bit of advice please folks. My ten month old pup Ellie has a sore tail. She was born just before the docking ban so is docked. She has never had any issues with it before, but now she is constantly licking at it and it is quite red and sore looking and the end of her stump.

To be honest, I think this may be a 'chicken and egg problem' as she is a bit of an obsessive licker, as I now a lot of dogs can be. So I think she has made herself sore by the constant licking and now thta it is sore then obviously she has more reason to want to lick it. I am trying to stop her from licking whenever I catch her in the act, but obviously I can't monitor it 24/7.

So I was wondering is there anything I can put on it to help it heal, i.e. like antiseptic cream / powder and is there anything else I can be doing to prevent her licking. Finally, is there any point taking her to the vets?

Thanks guys.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

What breed is Ellie and how short has the tail been docked (eg Dobies tend to be docked very short whereas spaniels should only have the last third of the tail off)?

Vet is last resort atm. Ellie's obsessive behaviour needs redirecting.

First make tail taste nasty by putting one or two (only) drops of tea tree or lavender oil in water and dabbing on tail. These are antiseptic as well as tasting horrid to dogs. Don't use both together - one or the other.

Now you need a tired Ellie. Forgive me for not remembering her breed, how you feed or how you exercise her. She needs enough exercise to tire her without stressing her growing body, and when she is home she needs safe stuff to chew eg raw bones, half a raw cabbage, cauliflower or swede, some apples, a cardboard box (no staples).

10 months is the second major chewing stage, when the adult teeth are settling into the jaw, so she must chew but preferably not herself.

DAP diffuser/spray and Rescue Remedy are also well worth trying.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

aw poor Ellie - she's a dobie isn't she, so tail stump is quite short?

How about one of those cone collars to stop her licking while you're not there. it might let it at least heal a bit? Although don't do what my OH did when we got our cat spayed - the vet told him if it was too big to cut a bit off the end, clever bloke trimmed all the way round so the collar only stuck out about 2 inches, making it useless at stopping her getting to her stitches!

Bless, Teagan is only just discovering her tail is behind her every time she turns around, waving away like a little white flag - she seems quite surprised to see it! :lol:
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Thanks OB. The tea tree oil sounds great and I will pick some up on the way home. This sounds just what i need as I need to stop her doing it just as much as I want t treat her sore little stump. Danabanana is correct, Ellie is a Dobie, and don't worry you can't be expected to remember everybody's dog!

Re exercise, she gets two walks a day of about an hour each (ish) one off lead and on on (heel work training you see :D ). I also play with her everyday and also at least some training everyday (palytime and training time are often combined together). Also she is on a raw diet.

She does have plenty to chew, although I haven't tried the raw cabbage one yet, but I will step this up abit as if she is going through a bit of an obsessive thing / teething thing maybe she needs more variety in her chewing things. I will also keep an eye on her to make sure that she has something to do other than lick her tail in the hope it will get her out of this habit.

Danabana - Thanks for the cone idea, but I will give the tea tree oil a go first, as I think Ellie would be most miffed if I bring her home a lampshade!!
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Kato chews his left paw area - a remant of kennel boredom me thinks, so I got some bitter apple spray and watch him like a hawk!
He has settled down now and isn't quite so anxious about the world, so things have healed nicely.
Lampshade collars are ok, but a nightmare on large pooches in narrow areas!
Have Fun!! :lol:
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

katowaggytail wrote:Kato chews his left paw area - a remant of kennel boredom me thinks, so I got some bitter apple spray and watch him like a hawk!
He has settled down now and isn't quite so anxious about the world, so things have healed nicely.
Lampshade collars are ok, but a nightmare on large pooches in narrow areas!
Have Fun!! :lol:
Your not kidding. Have you ever been hit full forse by an Bullterrier charging through on a bullie run :o Painful aint the word!!!

They are hwover good for not letting them get to the area, unless theyre like my dogs and been able to get the darned things off no matter how tight I tie it! :?
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

An alternative to the lampshade and much less distressing for dogs is a wide collar covering the whole neck from back of ears to shoulders. We used to be able to but them but I don't know if they are still made. Called Elizabethan Collars if so. Wouldn't be too difficult to make out of cardboard or similar.
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Thanks guys I will see how we go as I am hoping it won't come to the collar option. I bought tea tree oil last night and have been dabbing it on the sore bit of her tail. She is not too impressed with it as I guess it may sting a little but she HATES the taste of it whiich is a real result as it is stopping her constant licking and giving her tail chance to heal.

I guess all I can do now is try to keep her occupied elsewhere, persist with the tea tree oil and keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for all the responses folks!
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

thistledown wrote:Is this what you mean Owdb1tch?

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp ... =NECKBRACE

yes that's the very thing! :P Don't know why vets persist with the horrible frightening lampshade when there is this alternative.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Never seen one before - brillant idea!
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

katowaggytail wrote:Never seen one before - brillant idea!
me neither! Much better than the lampshade!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Merlin had to have about 6ins taken off his tail just after I got him, I put a velcro roller on the end to stop him chewing it, it worked :lol: You do need some tail to be able to banadage over the roller and make secure though. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

How's the stump?
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Early days, btu a bit better I think thanks Mo. The main thing is that she is leaving it alone now that the Tea Tree Oil is being put on. To be honest I think I am fortunate to have spotted it fairly soon, so its not too bad. Will keep you posted though. Hope you and yours are well and I am loving the sparkly Merlin pic!

D