Dog with Navy Seals at Bin Laden's compound

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

Dog with Navy Seals at Bin Laden's compound

Post by thepennywhistle »

and how it got in the compound -- the same way the Seals did, by jumping from a helicopter.

photo essay on military dogs http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... g?page=0,0
wickedhippy

Re: Dog with Navy Seals at Bin Laden's compound

Post by wickedhippy »

That's awesome. :)
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Thanks for sharing this with us, ThePennyWhistle! :D As I was looking at these pictures, I remembered the big German Shepherd dog my uncle had brought home with him when he got out of the service, back in 1970. Since Jack, the GS dog, had put in his time and was going to be "disposed", my uncle who had trained and worked with him in Vietnam had a close bond with Jack and asked to take him with him (my uncle) when my uncle was honorably discharged from the army.

After my uncle had obtained permission from the U.S. Government and the papers that went with Jack, both flew home. When both of them had arrived my grandparents' house, my uncle put Jack into this big chain-linked area to keep me, my brothers, cousins, and everyone else safe, until he retrained Jack and got him re-orientated to people, especially children. Of course, during this time, two of my cousins didn't listen to my uncle and were badly bitten in the face in which they were taken to the hospital for stitches. Nothing happened to Jack or my uncle, but my uncle was mad at my aunt, the two cousins who were bitten, mother, because she was told to watch her children and keep them away from Jack for the reasons I've said before.

After Jack was retrained and re-orientated, he was great being around although he was hard on our toy balls; nonetheless, it seemed no one could have asked for a better dog, especially one that has been trained in the military. In case you're wondering, Jack died when he was 14 years old in 1983. R.I.P. Jack!
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I saw that photo essay earlier today. pretty cool stuff. I really like that they are moving towards treating the dogs like soldiers, not disposable equipment.
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

There's a short video on You Tube about it:

http://youtu.be/BXvNbtK5jD0

Yay for Belgian Malinois!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Darn you beat me to it, TPW! haha :D
--dontpugme
chay

Post by chay »

great photos - i love the one of the soldier carrying the dog over his shoulder, and the last one with them chilling on bed! awww :)

it boggles my mind that dogs can be trained to jump out of helicopters!! training-wise, how on earth would you train a dog to have so much trust in its person it would break its fundamental survival-instincts like that?? :shock:
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

It is amazing they can be trained to jump out of a helicopter, cuz I'm not sure I could do that myself - so yay dogs! :)

And DontPugMe - this is a bit off topic, but I LOVE your signature, lol.
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
SmallBarkBigBite

Post by SmallBarkBigBite »

Actually they typically are trained to be fast-roped out of a chopper with their trusted handler first.

Take it from someone who used to fast rope doing SAR.