Question about spaying

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Post Reply
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:39 am
Location: Oklahoma

Question about spaying

Post by lulu4422 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have a couple of questions about when it would be best to have my APBT spayed. First of all, she is 11 months old and is in heat now. I don't know if this is her first time or not - I have only been around her since she was 5 months old. She's actually my brother's dog, but we live in the same household. I've read all the posts that came up when I searched for "spaying" on this forum and several other resources online, so I do see the benefits of keeping her intact until she matures. However, she is unfortunately not my dog and belongs to my very, very irresponsible brother instead. Therefore, I cannot guarantee that he won't do something stupid like let her play with male dogs. In fact, last weekend he took her to a friend's house to play with another APBT which resulted in a cut on her neck. He also left her alone with my cat which resulted in them being magically locked in the bathroom together. Luckily, the APBT loves my cat and nothing bad happened. (Sorry, that was off-topic. I'm just upset and need to vent a little.)

Anyway, basically, my brother has the maturity level of a 10 year old and can't be expected to not do stupid things. At the same time, it seems like it would be better for the doggy if she matures more first. So, what do you all recommend? My vet says to just do it now and get it over with. Can dogs be spayed while they are in heat and would doing so be very bad for her? Also, I'm basically going to be kidnapping her for the surgery without my brother's knowledge because I don't trust him not to try to breed her. If anyone wants to make me feel better about being deceptive, please, do go for it. I know it's the right thing to do, but something makes me feel guilty about it. Thanks in advance for any advice anyone might offer! :)

Posts: 262
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Post by Owdb1tch » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:46 pm

The best time to spay would be 3 months after her season ends.

Although I disagree with spaying for spaying's sake, I think in this case spaying is essential, and I commend you for your concern.

It is a serious operation and proper aftercare is needed until she has healed internally as well as with the visible scar. As your brother sounds the type that would not take this care, you might consider arranging some sort of convalescence 'holiday' maybe in kennels for her. It can be really nasty if the internal stitches break, and even if they don't, there is increased risk of permanent incontinence, which is a risk with a percentage of spayed bitches anyway.

It IS more risky to spay an on-heat ***** for several reasons, though some vets will. Avoid it if you can.

best of luck.


Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:21 am
Location: NE England

Post by danabanana » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:30 am

echo what OB said
If your brother is as irresponsible as you make out I think you'd be doing the right thing.
Is there anywhere you can take her for a long weekend maybe so she has a chance to heal in peace?

Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:37 am

Post by katowaggytail » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:48 am

Sorry -
It was your brother's dog to start with and now you have it? Am I right on that?
Do you and your brother live in the same house or does he visit?
Are your parents about (sorry I don't know your ages so do forgive me! :) ). Can they not be stricter with your brother?
I know I've bomarded questions at you, I'm just trying to get a good picture!
You are absolutley right in taking charge and being responsible and I echo all that has been said before. :D

Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:39 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by lulu4422 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks OB! :) I've done some more research and I think you're right - I'll wait a few months and then get it done. She should nearly be done with her cycle I think.

dana - Thanks also for your reply. :) I'm trying to arrange something. I'll be moving out after she's done with her surgery, so I'm thinking I might sneak her into my apartment for a week or so until she's feeling better.

katowaggytail - Thanks for the reassurance! My brother and I live in the same house because my dad is kind enough to let us move back to save $$. I'm 22 and he's 21. Although I guess I really shouldn't use a doggie forum to complain about my brother! Sorry about that! :)

Post Reply