Dog shows - any advice?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Dog shows - any advice?

Post by danabanana »

Hi all
We are considering showing our gorgeous tan & white beagle ***** (still young at the moment but depending on how she grows up) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get started?
We're not planning Crufts or anything but maybe a few local shows?
Thanks
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya,

The first thing to do would be find a local ringcraft class, which is where you will learn about how to show, and get your dog used to the process. If you cant find a ring craft class its possible another training class will do if the person running it can give you some tips.

Then its a matter of deciding if your dog likes it enough, entering the right classes and off you go!

Shows are busy places, so its wise to make sure your dog can cope with ringcraft first and lots of trips to similarly busy places.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ringcraft - right will get searching. Thanks for reply
beagler

Post by beagler »

HI!

Lovely to hear about another beagler going to shows!! I have two beagle boys, one tri and one tan and white. Harvey the tri loves it and Oscar the tan and white is starting to love it all over again! He was excellent at first (qualifying for Crufts at his first show!!) If I can do it anyone can!! :lol: Then I think he got a fright, maybe a rough judge/wobbly table (they are table dogs). I got good advice from a nice judge this year ( he bred Crufts 2007 winner) who said to encourage everyone that meets the dog at ringcraft to handle them (gently) and treat them on the table. Just until they get used to it and see it as great fun. This has worked for Oscar as he sees every judge as a food opportunity, you will have found that beagles are foodies!
If your girl is old enough to go out in public, then take her to ringcraft. Make it a happy experience. Remember that puppies get off with a lot in a class at a show so let her muck about a little. Lots of judges like to see a dog enjoying themselves. Oscar had a write up from a judge saying "very happy puppy" it's nice to see that. :D
There is a good book, by Andrew Brace called "Beagles Today" it gives good advice on what to look for in a potential show dog and lots of other things.
Most of all have fun, if you enjoy it your dog will too.
Maybe see you at Crufts sometime!! :lol:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Thanks Beagler she's still young but looking at ringcraft classes in the new year - you might see her dad around at Crufts next year though 'Fallowfield Brewster' aka Dylan
beagler

Post by beagler »

will keep my eyes peeled for him. Sure she will be nice if her dad is from that kennel! :wink:
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

The only advice i will give you is.... if your dog dont like it give up.
We used to take Ethel to the AB shows and i was told she would win first in everything she entered as she is the perfect criteria for her standard. Well she hated every minute of it, and for her first ever go in the ring, without any ring training got a second over dogs that had been doing it for ages. "She has the most distinctive markings" " what an absolute beauty" and " WOW" were just a few of the comments we got, but when she got int the ring, she hated it. We were told by the judge that she seemed a little stressed and for that he had to mark her down.
If she had of been ring trained then who knows, but we only entered her for a bit of a trial, just to see how she would take to it. but she hated every minute of it, and her next go was just the same.
So we gave up. We still go to the shows with her, to have a look, and she loves going to see all the other lovely AB's and see some of her old friends, but she doesnt go in any more. :wink: Folks allways aks us if she's being entered, and we just laugh.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you BOTH do well, best of luck to you :D
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Thanks for the advice Maggie, we definately won't try to make her do anything she doesn't enjoy. Going to look at ringcraft classes see how she takes those, and maybe visit a couple of shows before we enter her (if we do!).
We know someone who runs agility and flyball classes so going to give them a go too but again if she doesn't like it she doesn't like it.
Not a pushy mum!
dearlady

Post by dearlady »

agree with Maggie - I have one hound who loves being in the show ring, loved his ringcraft, but isn't what I consider good enough, and now I have a gorgeous boy, who hates ringcraft, appears to hate all other dogs and isn't shy about telling them :roll: and cringes when in the showring, yet at home is the most wonderful happy cuddly boy....so I'm not sure I even want to try and work on him, as if he's not going to be happy it just isn't worth it.....

and as for my youngest *****...well she doesn't mind the showring, but is way too feisty, and much as I wish she would behave better, and I hold my hands up to not training as much as I should, I find her so funny, and so full of character, that I just don't want to change her!!

So enjoy your girl.....it should be about both of you having fun!!!

Good Luck!