Hello

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ellie2006

Hello

Post by ellie2006 »

First, a big hello to everyone here! I am trying to start a part time business one to one training in my local area, despite advertising etc it seems nobody is prepared to pay for advice. Any ideas would be gratefully received! :D :?:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Whats your experience, qualifications? (not always important but can be to the public), what methods do you use?

Thats what id want to know of a n ew trainer.

Em
ellie2006

Hello

Post by ellie2006 »

Hi emmabeth, Im just finishing an online course by ADTB, I've got quite alot of experience from training my own dogs and helping friends and family. I've always been interested in dogs, and how they think. I used to be a shepherd, but was diagnosed with MS and had to make a career change to suit my physical ability. I dare not be too pushy with advertising in case I have a relapse, so I thought my local area would be a good place to start.
Every dog should be able to be a dog
ellie2006

methods

Post by ellie2006 »

:oops: I use positive reinforcement and reward based training.
Ingy

Post by Ingy »

Have you tried making a little website?? Then adding it to yell.com etc. A free website area is: www.freewebs.com it is quite easy to use...

I have a pet supplies website trying to get people to use that is a nightmare!! so I simpathise with you on the lack of interest side! I am trying to do this and stay off work with my 7 month old baby.

Have you tried advertising in Vets?
Ingrid Harvey
http://www.aristocatsanddapperdogs.co.uk/
For all your pets supplies click onto our new website.
NicolaLloyd

Post by NicolaLloyd »

That's what I was going to suggest - local vets, pet shops and possibly local papers. I picked up the name of my dog walker from the local vets. I have also looked on the internet for a behaviourist so maybe that would be worthwhile. If you set up a website, you could try approaching other companies to see if you could link up websites (obviously you would have to check out the other companies first to make sure you are happy to be associated with them). :wink:

Good luck - I'm sure a lot of work will come through word of mouth eventually as people often find it hard to trust their pets with someone unless they have had an independent reference. I'm sure once you've had a couple of happy customers the work will come flooding in :D
ellie2006

setting up

Post by ellie2006 »

I've got my second paying customer!!! Am working on a website, I think it will help, I'm also OBVIOUSLY helping with a neighbor's dog to try and show people in my locality that I can do what I say I can do! Have thought that maybe starting a dog walking club or something like might help. :) There are so many people withone dog, and when I meet people Who's dogs are ok to play, both my dog and theirs have a great time. I think people forget that dogs love to play with other dogs, there are some things us people just can't do!! :D