Fellow pet owners, it is inevitable that your furry friend will require some mild first aid care at some point in their life. It is important that you have a 'Pet First Aid' kit prepared at your disposal for times when you need to help your pet. First aid care of your pet is not meant to be a replacement for veterinary care; however, you can always be prepared for minor medical issues that may arise.
Your first aid kit should include:
- Dry gauze pads
- Rolled gauze
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Elastic, adhesive bandage
- Triple antibiotic ointment for placing bandages on minor scrapes, cuts or burns
- Stretchable bandage material
- The phone number to your primary veterinarian and an emergency veterinary clinic
For more information on what you should or could place in your pet first aid kit, please contact your primary veterinarian for their recommendations.
How should you handle your pet in the case of an injury?
It’s important to be aware that even the most docile family pet can become agitated and potentially aggressive if injured. Because dogs often do not outwardly show or express that they are in pain, you may miss the signals that your dog is hurting.
- If your dog is injured, do not try to hug, kiss, or comfort him in any way.
- Move slowly and watch your dog’s body language for signs of stress or agitation.
- Stay calm. Your tension and panic will transmit directly onto your dog.
- Contact your veterinarian immediately. If the injury occurs after hours, find the closest emergency vet in your area.
- Enroll in a first aid course so that you know what to do in the event of an emergency
Although the rare event of an emergency with your pet can be frightening, if you are prepared beforehand with a pet first aid kid and the knowledge of how to handle the situation, you will be able to keep yourself and your dog calm.
Victoria and Holly ring in the new year with a special guest in studio and discussing several of the new projects and developments...
Special Boxing Day episode finds Victoria explaining what’s special about December 26th to Holly as well as a discussion about...
Victoria shares the gifts she’s celebrating this holiday season, including the success of the #LucysLaw campaign, California’s...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...
- Why I’m Not (and never have been) a Purely...