Cancer is a frightening word in any scenario, and unfortunately it can also occur in our pets. Dogs are susceptible to many forms of cancer, and it is the leading disease-related cause of death in dogs.
What are warning signs my dog might have cancer?
- Routinely check your dog for unusual lumps and bumps, and take him in for a checkup if you feel something abnormal.
- Significant weight loss or loss of appetite can be a sign of cancer.
- If your dog is acting lethargic or depressed, it may be a good idea to go to the vet.
- Limping or other signals your dog is in pain is an important reason to get a checkup.
Certain breeds of dog are more prone to cancer including:
- Golden Retrievers
- Bernese Mountain Dogs
- Flat-Coated Retrievers
How can I prevent my dog from getting cancer?
- If you are looking to get a purebred dog, make sure the dog comes from a responsible breeder.
- Spay and neuter your dogs. Altering your dog significantly reduces the risk of several common types of cancer.
- Vaccinate, but do not over-vaccinate your dog. Talk to your veterinarian about the best vaccine options for your dog.
- Keep your dog healthy and trim by exercising him regularly.
- Feed your dog high-quality dog food or a raw diet.
- Dr. Mahaney’s Top Five Holistic Pet Cancer Prevention Tips
- Can a Veterinarian Treat His Own Pet?
- Cardiff’s Cancer Story Part 2: Surgical Removal of an Intestinal Mass
- Have You Been Bathing Your Pet with a Cancer-Causing Shampoo?
- A Veterinarian’s Experience with Treating His Dog’s Cancer
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...