Allergies are a common condition that can affect dogs of all ages and breeds. Depending on your dog’s specific allergy, problems can occur when the allergen is inhaled, ingested, or makes contact with skin. While most allergy cases are treatable and not dangerous for your dog, they can cause some severe symptoms.
What are common symptoms of dog allergies?
- Persistent scratching
- Ear infections
- Itchy ears, eyes, or tail
- Constant licking
- Chewing on paws
- Skin irritation
- Stomach upset
What could my dog be allergic to?
There are many potential allergens for dogs including:
- Food – food allergies are quite common in dogs, and require a specific elimination diet to figure out what foods trigger the allergies.
- Pollens (tree, weed, grass)
- Dust, dander, mold
- Flea and tick preventatives
- Cleaning products
What should I do if I think my dog has allergies?
- Prevent allergies by removing the allergen from your dog’s environment, if possible.
- Treatments can include supplements, injections, or medications.
- Contact your veterinarian to discuss treatment options.
Allergies are a common ailment that can affect dogs in many different ways. Although they are a minor issue in most cases, a dog’s allergies should not go untreated. Your veterinarian will help you find a treatment plan that is right for you and your dog.
Season 6 ends with a bang as Holly and Victoria reveal two brand new releases that listeners will be able to enjoy.
Victoria and Holly chat about the Victoria Stilwell Academy and the latest news from the program. They also answer your most...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Why I Love VSA
- Introducing the Newly-Redesigned Positively...
- After Losing K-9 Partner to Cancer, Police Officer...
- Police K-9 Officer Surprises Local Neighborhood...
- Police K-9 Officer “In the Right Place at...