Cold Weather Tips
Some dogs are more tolerant of the cold than others, but it is important to keep any dog safe and warm during cold winter months. Above all else, you should never leave any dog outside for extended periods during inclement weather.
Top Five Tips to Keep Your Dogs Healthy in Cold Weather
- Bundle Up! Dogs are closer to the ground than humans and therefore can get cold quicker. Be aware of this and use a warm sweater or coat if your dog needs it.
- Don't Eat the Salt. If the roads have been salted because of icy or snowy conditions, wash your dog's paws after a walk to prevent ingestion of potentially harmful road salt or grit.
- Clean the Pads. Snow can gather and harden in between your dog's paws, making it very uncomfortable for your dog to walk. Be sure to keep her paws ice-free.
- Be Smart. Try and take your dog out during the warmest part of the day and do shorter walks if your dog is feeling the cold.
- Stay In Shape. Dogs can put on weight during the winter as cold conditions can be off-putting for humans! But exercise is still important, so wrap up warm and get out there.
- Cold Weather Safety in Dogs and Cats
- Keeping Pets and Wildlife Warm Through the Big Freeze
- Get Ready for Severe Winter Weather
- Victoria Shares Her Top Winter Tips
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Victoria and Holly ring in the new year with a special guest in studio and discussing several of the new projects and developments...
Special Boxing Day episode finds Victoria explaining what’s special about December 26th to Holly as well as a discussion about...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...