Choosing the Right Leash
What’s in a leash? These days, there are all kinds of leashes on the market. How do you choose the right leash for you?
Nylon leashes are relatively popular these days, and they are an easy and inexpensive option for most dog owners. If you have a strong puller or a leash reactive dog, this type of fabric might hurt your hands and can make it difficult to manage an out-of-control dog. (In these cases, Victoria recommends a non-aversive no-pull harness.)
Leather leashes may be more effective for large, strong dogs that pull on leash or who are working on reactivity. Leather leashes will be easier to hold onto and will not cause the burning on your hands that other types of leashes can.
The Double-Connection Leash
The Positively Double-Connection Leash is intended for use with the Positively No-Pull Harness, although it can be used with any no-pull harness that clips in multiple places. Double connection leashes are great for training a dog that pulls or lunges on leash, as you do not have to worry about getting multiple leashes tangled up.
If there is one type of leash to be careful with, it is a retractable leash.
- These leashes give owners minimal control over their dog, and are responsible for injuries to both owners and dogs, even contributing to a number of fatal accidents in dogs.
- These types of leashes allow dogs to get dangerously far away from their person, without any way of getting the dog back quickly.
- Dogs can easily run out into the street and get hit by a car, while the handler can do little but stand by and watch.
- The cord on retractable leashes can cause severe burns to bare skin, and can get easily twisted around a dog’s neck or legs.
- If your dog’s collar was to break or get dropped, either you or your dog could be at the tail end of a projectile.
Retractable leashes should only be used in open spaces but care should be taken to avoid injury to you and your dog.
Season 6 ends with a bang as Holly and Victoria reveal two brand new releases that listeners will be able to enjoy.
Victoria and Holly chat about the Victoria Stilwell Academy and the latest news from the program. They also answer your most...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...
- Why I’m Not (and never have been) a Purely...
- Why I Love VSA