Teaching a dog to 'roll over ' is a fun and easy trick that can be fun for both you and your dog. Remember, keep trick training light, fun, and fast.
How to Teach Your Dog to Roll Over
- Start with your dog in a down position.
- Hold a treat in front of his nose.
- When he takes notice, move the food away from his mouth, so he cannot snatch it.
- Move it down his body past his front leg and back over his lying body.
- His head will follow the food morsel, forcing him to roll over in order to get it.
- When he completes this action, give him the food and praise him.
- You will need to do this several times until he learns that roll over is something you enjoy him doing.
- This might require returning later to practice the trick every time, since praise and food treats tend to get a dog excited and moving around.
Advocating for Animals – Victoria and Holly are joined by actor and animal activist, Peter Egan to discuss dogs, moon bears and...
Victoria is joined by dog behaviour expert and a driving force behind the UK Dog Behaviour & Training Charter Andrew Hale to...
The rescue of 180 Chihuahuas sparks a larger conversation on how to transition dogs from crisis situations into homes.
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- 2021 Dog Behavior Conference Announced
- Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?