Teaching a dog to 'roll over ' is a fun and easy trick that can be fun for both you and your dog. Remember, keep trick training light, fun, and fast.
How to Teach Your Dog to Roll Over
- Start with your dog in a down position.
- Hold a treat in front of his nose.
- When he takes notice, move the food away from his mouth, so he cannot snatch it.
- Move it down his body past his front leg and back over his lying body.
- His head will follow the food morsel, forcing him to roll over in order to get it.
- When he completes this action, give him the food and praise him.
- You will need to do this several times until he learns that roll over is something you enjoy him doing.
- This might require returning later to practice the trick every time, since praise and food treats tend to get a dog excited and moving around.
What do the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Long Lost Family have to do with dogs? BAFTA winning radio and TV presenter, Nicky...
Obedience training has long been the accepted path to teaching dogs’ manners, but the concept of obedience might be doing dogs a...
What is Free Work and how do dogs benefit? Dog behaviour expert Sarah Fisher joins Holly and Victoria to discuss how Free Work is...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?
- Differences Between Male and Female Dogs
- The Reactive Dog