Teaching your dog to 'high five ' is a fun trick to teach your dog, and one that is sure to impress fellow dog lovers.
How to Teach the 'High Five'
- Hold a treat in front of your sitting dog. Wait for her to smell, lick and push at your hand with her muzzle and work out how to get the treat out of your hand.
- She will eventually bring her paw up to the treat and paw at it. As soon as she does, tell her ‘good girl’ and give her the treat.
- After a few repetitions add the word, ‘shake,’ or ‘high five’ as she is in the process of doing the action.
- Keep presenting your hand to her and now as she brings up her paw, put the palm of your hand up to meet her paw.
- Keep repeating this and you will be rewarded with a dog that high fives you each time you ask.
Advocating for Animals – Victoria and Holly are joined by actor and animal activist, Peter Egan to discuss dogs, moon bears and...
Victoria is joined by dog behaviour expert and a driving force behind the UK Dog Behaviour & Training Charter Andrew Hale to...
The rescue of 180 Chihuahuas sparks a larger conversation on how to transition dogs from crisis situations into homes.
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- 2021 Dog Behavior Conference Announced
- Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?