Teaching your dog to 'high five ' is a fun trick to teach your dog, and one that is sure to impress fellow dog lovers.
How to Teach the 'High Five'
- Hold a treat in front of your sitting dog. Wait for her to smell, lick and push at your hand with her muzzle and work out how to get the treat out of your hand.
- She will eventually bring her paw up to the treat and paw at it. As soon as she does, tell her ‘good girl’ and give her the treat.
- After a few repetitions add the word, ‘shake,’ or ‘high five’ as she is in the process of doing the action.
- Keep presenting your hand to her and now as she brings up her paw, put the palm of your hand up to meet her paw.
- Keep repeating this and you will be rewarded with a dog that high fives you each time you ask.
Obedience training has long been the accepted path to teaching dogs’ manners, but the concept of obedience might be doing dogs a...
What is Free Work and how do dogs benefit? Dog behaviour expert Sarah Fisher joins Holly and Victoria to discuss how Free Work is...
After a second ‘nipping’ incident in the White House, Victoria is joined by Veterinary Behaviorist Sarah Heath to discuss why...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- 2021 Dog Behavior Conference Announced
- Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?