Choosing The Right Breeder
If you have decided that you definitely want to buy a puppy from a breeder, it’s critical that you find a breeder who sincerely cares about the puppies’ best interests, even long after they have gone to their new homes. Here are some tips about how to get a puppy from the right breeder.
Never buy a puppy from a pet store. Choose not to support the horrific puppy mill industry by saying no pet stores.
How To Identify a Responsible Breeder
A good breeder who breeds for health and temperament before cash considerations will always:
- Show you the parents (or at least the mother) of the puppy you are looking at, and the parents should be healthy, clean, and friendly. They should not be living primarily outdoors.
- Show you proof of health screening on all their dogs and puppies.
- Require proof that you will spay/neuter your puppy and should not encourage you to breed your puppy.
- Be concerned about the animals’ welfare throughout its life. You should be required to sign a contract and the breeder should be willing to take the dog back or help you find a new home if you need to re-home the dog for any reason.
A good breeder would never:
- Have a massive number of dogs and puppies on their property.
- Wean puppies prior to eight weeks old.
Keep in mind that there are breed-specific rescue groups across the country and that you can find many purebred dogs in your local shelter. Always consider adoption before deciding to go the route of a breeder.
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...