Choosing The Right Breeder
If you have decided that you definitely want to buy a puppy from a breeder, it’s critical that you find a breeder who sincerely cares about the puppies’ best interests, even long after they have gone to their new homes. Here are some tips about how to get a puppy from the right breeder.
Never buy a puppy from a pet store. Choose not to support the horrific puppy mill industry by saying no pet stores.
How To Identify a Responsible Breeder
A good breeder who breeds for health and temperament before cash considerations will always:
- Show you the parents (or at least the mother) of the puppy you are looking at, and the parents should be healthy, clean, and friendly. They should not be living primarily outdoors.
- Show you proof of health screening on all their dogs and puppies.
- Require proof that you will spay/neuter your puppy and should not encourage you to breed your puppy.
- Be concerned about the animals’ welfare throughout its life. You should be required to sign a contract and the breeder should be willing to take the dog back or help you find a new home if you need to re-home the dog for any reason.
A good breeder would never:
- Have a massive number of dogs and puppies on their property.
- Wean puppies prior to eight weeks old.
Keep in mind that there are breed-specific rescue groups across the country and that you can find many purebred dogs in your local shelter. Always consider adoption before deciding to go the route of a breeder.
Victoria explores why teaching obedience cues like ‘sit’ should not be the focus of dog training.
Victoria is joined by VSPDT Kat Kekel, Behavior Tech at Cherokee County Animal Shelter to talk about sheltering, fostering and...
Petrepreneur marketing guru J. Nichole Smith joins Victoria to discuss the importance of identifying and building around your...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Dog Behaviour Conference Now A Global Online Event
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love