Wise Food Choices
Wise Food Choices. What’s more important to your dog than food? Chances are, not much.
The experts do not agree about nutrition, however, Dr. Doug Knueven, veterinary lecturer on dog nutrition, tells us that poor diet is the biggest obstacle to achieving canine health: Many illnesses, skin, and behavioral problems are directly affected by diet. Here are some “greendog” guidelines:
- Diets. Home cooking is great if you eat healthy, and you avoid foods that are toxic to dogs. Alternatively, choose a super-premium quality dehydrated, freeze-dried or kibble feed. A more natural diet includes raw meat, organ meat, raw bones, vegetables, and fruits.
- Ingredients. Read the labels. Look for a specifically named meat or fish as the first ingredient and natural preservatives. Avoid by-products, sugars, artificial colorings and flavorings.
- Protein and Carbohydrates. High-protein diets are often linked to high performance, and high simple carbohydrate diets to obesity. Dr. Lynn Honeckman, DVM, tells us, “Medical problems that result from obesity include diabetes, hip dysplasia, cancer, degenerative joint, respiratory, skin and autoimmune diseases.” Monitor intake.
- Rotation. Rotate between and within brands. Transition gradually. A balanced diet requires variety.
- Processing. High-temperature processing destroys essential nutrients. Stay as close to natural and organic as feasible.
- Supplements. Err on the safe side and provide a daily multivitamin/mineral supplement, fish oil, and a probiotic.
In case of illness, always consult your trusted, nutrition-savvy veterinarian.
Linda Michaels, “Dog Psychologist” M.A. and Victoria Stilwell-licensed Del Mar dog trainer and speaker, can be reached at (858) 259-9663 or email: [email protected] for private obedience instruction and behavioral consultations in or near Del Mar or the San Diego Coast. Visit us at DogPsychologistOnCall.com
Originally published UT San Diego, Scratch ‘n Sniff. Chris Ross, Editor
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?