Training Tips: Hand Targeting
Hand targeting is an easy and useful behavior to teach for so many reasons. It's also a great foundation exercise for dogs of all ages.
Hand targeting can be used for:
- Helping a puppy or a nervous dog become more comfortable with hands reaching towards him
- Building a pup's confidence around people
- Redirecting behavior
- Helping him to become comfortable with objects that might be scary (like brushes, tools used at the vet, nail clippers, etc.)
- Teaching a recall
- Low stress handling and cooperative care
- Teaching more advanced behaviors
- Modifying behaviors
To learn how to teach a hand target take a look at this video I created with my puppy Journey:
And this one on targeting an item:
What do the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Long Lost Family have to do with dogs? BAFTA winning radio and TV presenter, Nicky...
Obedience training has long been the accepted path to teaching dogs’ manners, but the concept of obedience might be doing dogs a...
What is Free Work and how do dogs benefit? Dog behaviour expert Sarah Fisher joins Holly and Victoria to discuss how Free Work is...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- 2021 Dog Behavior Conference Announced
- Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer
- Becoming a Dog Trainer
- Social Bullying
- Does Your Dog Respect You?