Training Tips: Hand Targeting
Hand targeting is an easy and useful behavior to teach for so many reasons. It's also a great foundation exercise for dogs of all ages.
Hand targeting can be used for:
- Helping a puppy or a nervous dog become more comfortable with hands reaching towards him
- Building a pup's confidence around people
- Redirecting behavior
- Helping him to become comfortable with objects that might be scary (like brushes, tools used at the vet, nail clippers, etc.)
- Teaching a recall
- Low stress handling and cooperative care
- Teaching more advanced behaviors
- Modifying behaviors
To learn how to teach a hand target take a look at this video I created with my puppy Journey:
And this one on targeting an item:
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...