Top 10 New Year Do’s and Dont’s
If you're adopting a dog this new year or choosing a puppy, think carefully about how you will select, socialize and train the new addition to the family.
4. Don’t wait until your dog has received all the vaccinations to begin safe socialization activities. Check the PetProfessionalsGuild.org for a socialization checklist, to find out how Socialization and Vaccinations Go Together, as well as OperationSocialization.com for more safety guidelines.
5. Do use “do no harm’ training methods. Positive does not mean permissive. Establish clear boundaries and be consistent.
6. Don’t use old-fashioned dominance methods or collar equipment that may hurt your dog both psychologically and physically.
7. Do “listen” to your dog’s body language and vocalizations. Your dog talks to you and to dogs through behavior, body language and vocalizations. Speak your dog’s language by using hand signals.
8. Don’t mistake fear for respect. A lasting bond between man and dog is based on mutual trust and understanding.
9. Do use the power of food to train and change emotions in your dog. Later, transition slowly to affection, toys and real life reinforcements.
10. Don’t forget your furry new bundle of joy depends on your care, kindness, patience and diligence to make his new home a warm and wonderful place to be all year long.
Linda Michaels, MA, and Victoria Stilwell-licensed Del Mar dog trainer and speaker may be reached at 858.259.9663 or by email:[email protected] for private behavioral consultations near the San Diego Coast. Visit us at DogPsychologistOnCall.com
Originally published in the U~T San Diego, Scratch n’ Sniff. Chris Ross, Editor.
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...