Holiday Time at the Shelter!
Animal shelters are the cornerstone of animal welfare in our communities and they desperately need our help 365 days a year but especially during the holiday season. Here are a few of the many ways in which you can help your community shelter throughout the holiday season and into the New Year:
- Donate toys, bowls and enrichment items to the animals that will spend the holidays in the shelter.
- Have some extra blankets and/or towels? Clean out the linen closet and donate your unwanted items to provide bedding for shelter animals during the cold winter months.
- Staying at home this season? Consider volunteering at the local shelter. Many shelters will be short on staff and volunteers due to holiday travel. This is a wonderful time for animal advocates to provide much needed help with hands on care, website maintenance, adoption counseling, event planning, transport, the list goes on! Ask shelter staff where you can be most helpful.
- Make a donation to the animal shelter on behalf of a friend as a holiday gift. Better yet donate a spay/neuter voucher for your local low cost spay/neuter clinic.
- Post flyers in busy shopping areas highlighting adoptable animals in the local shelter.
- Remind all friends and family that there are many shelter animals looking for families. Don’t shop! ADOPT!
The holidays do not have to be a lonely time for shelter animals. As animal advocates we want to help as many animals as possible. Your local animal shelter is a great place to start! As a community we can make a difference.
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...