DIY Paw Print Ornament
After losing our precious Sadie Mae earlier this year, the importance of having keepsakes and little reminders has never been more clear to me. I treasure every tiny memory of my sweet girl, and I stop and smile every time I happen upon something that makes me think of her.
This adorable DIY paw print ornament is one of those things. At the time we did this little project together, I never stopped to imagine the joy it would someday bring me when she was no longer by my side.
To create your own little keepsake this holiday season, just follow the easy-peasy instructions below. I promise, even if your pet is a little less than cooperative during the process, it'll be worth it in the end. You'll come away with something you'll treasure for years to come.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water
A drinking straw
A round cookie cutter (a drinking glass will work if you don't have a cookie cutter on hand)
Acrylic paint(s) and brush
Pretty ribbon in your choice of color
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees F; mix the flour, salt, and water together in a bowl.
2) When the ingredients are thoroughly combined, use your hands and knead to incorporate the crumbly pieces.
3) Lay out the dough on a flat surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
4) Cut out desired shape with a cookie cutter or drinking glass, keeping in mind the size of your dog's paw needs to fit within the shape.
5) Gently press your pup's paw into the center of the cut-out dough to make a print.
6) Poke a hole at the top center of the dough using a drinking straw. Do this BEFORE you bake!
7) Bake on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet for 2 hours at 200 degrees F.
8) Cool completely, then paint your ornament as desired and thread the ribbon through the hole.
Have you ever attempted a DIY project like this with your pet? I'd love to hear about it in a comment below!
Victoria explores why teaching obedience cues like ‘sit’ should not be the focus of dog training.
Victoria is joined by VSPDT Kat Kekel, Behavior Tech at Cherokee County Animal Shelter to talk about sheltering, fostering and...
Petrepreneur marketing guru J. Nichole Smith joins Victoria to discuss the importance of identifying and building around your...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Dog Behaviour Conference Now A Global Online Event
- “Director’s Cut” It’s Me...
- Should We Even Talk To ‘The Other...
- It’s Me or the Dog Free on YouTube!
- Do What You Love