5 Ways to Help Your Dog Beat the Heat
I don’t know how it is where you live, but here it is hot, hot, hot. With triple digit temperatures, it’s important to make sure your furry friend stays cool. Here’s a few of our favorite ways to keep cool in the summer.
- Get a baby pool. That is, if your dog likes water. I can’t even begin to tell you how much fun you’ll have splashing around with your water-loving dog. You’ll both keep cool and (bonus) get some exercise in as well!
- Make frozen treats. A quick Google search (or hello Pinterest!) will yield numerous ideas for creating frozen treats. Your treats don’t need to be fancy either. Grab some dog-friendly food items from your kitchen, mix them together, and pop them in the freezer!
- Freeze your dog's toys. Yes, you read that right! Put some toys/treats in a bowl filled with water (add some low-sodium chicken broth for added flavor) and freeze! Your dog will love licking his way to his toys in this mentally stimulating game.
- Get a cooling pad. There are some really great ones on the market to help keep your dog cool. We have a fantastic, eco-friendly pad that doesn't require electricity. I've caught my husband
stealing the pad from the dogssitting on ours on occasion.
- Brush, brush, brush. Nothing is more important than brushing out the undercoat of your double-coated dog. Removing that dense, winter undercoat will allow for proper air circulation and protection from the sun.
We love to spend a day swimming at the lake to keep the dogs (and us!) cool. How do you keep cool with your dog?
Aly and Victoria discuss how you can make your dog feel more comfortable during the holidays. Whether your dog is shy of people or...
In this podcast, Victoria and Aly share great ideas on how to provide enrichment for your dog when it’s cold outside. Aly shares...
Victoria is joined by Victoria Stilwell Academy's Curriculum Manager, Aly Lecznar, to talk about VSA's newly-launched Online Dog...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Do What You Love
- Why ‘Dominance’ Shouldn’t Be a...
- Isn’t It Amazing?
- Letter From The Dog
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...