5 Ways to Celebrate Your Dog’s “Gotcha Day” or Birthday
As a pet parent, I feel like there is nothing more fun than celebrating your dog’s gotcha day or birthday. Therefore, I put together a list of fun ways to help you celebrate:
1) Have an Agility Party
Agility locations like the Zoom Room allow you to rent their facilities to host parties. Invite your friends and their pets to a nearby location for a mini-agility lesson, or doggy disco!
Additionally you can purchase your own backyard agility equipment from companies like the Outward Hound and invite your doggy friends over for fun and exercise!
2) Throw A Bash at the Dog Park
If you are a frequent dog park visitor, what better way to celebrate than at the Dog Park? If you are going to have treats available you might want to consider having the party during non-peak dog park hours like after work. You may even be able to check with your local parks and recreation department to see if a portion of the dog park can be rented or reserved.
This is also a great way to have an impromptu celebration with your pet if party planning has slipped your mind. Just bring the celebration to your friends at the local dog park.
3) Have a Pool Party
Depending where you live, some nearby locations may have a pool that you can rent out for a doggy pool party. Better yet, you may have your own pool to host a doggy pool party! If many of the dogs at your party are small or inexperienced swimmers, a baby pool might be the best alternative.
If you are lucky enough to live by the beach, invite your friends to the nearest dog beach for some fun and celebration!
4) Get a Doggy Birthday Cake!
You can order birthday cake, cupcakes, treats, or other celebratory eats from your local bakery, or you can make your own. There are so many great DIY Birthday Cake recipes available. Check out my DIY Dog Birthday Cake Pinterest board here for some fun ideas!
5) Don’t forget to have a theme!
No party is complete without a theme. Here are some examples of themes for your dog’s party.
Your Dog’s Name: For example, Rooney is named after a soccer player, so I would love to throw a World Cup themed birthday party for him! Complete with a doggy soccer game of course.
Pet Adoption and Rescue: Get involved with your local rescue or shelter, and use your party as a chance to educate other pet parents about rescue and adoption! Better yet, ask your guests to bring gently used blankets and towels that will be donated.
Doggy Toy Exchange Party: Have you ever attended a clothing exchange party? Where people get together and bring their gently used clothing to exchange with their friends? Well, why not do this with the toys your dog doesn’t play with. You and your friends can bring toys that your dog no longer plays with and see if other dogs find them more interesting.
Other Classic Themes: Luau, Days of Summer, Carnival, Under the Stars, Paris, Wild West
Lastly, I want to leave you with a few do’s and don’ts to make your dog’s party successful:
- Do provide goodie bags for your guests with healthy treats.
- Don’t forget to have treats available for those dogs with allergies and sensitive tummies.
- Don’t forget to consider safety, especially at a pool party. Ask pet owners who have doggy life jackets to being them along, and make sure someone is always monitoring the pool.
- Do purchase some Dog Beer! What’s a party without a few libations?
- Do provide poop bags at the party, especially if you are using a public facility.
- Do bring towels or other cleanup items incase any of your guests find a mud puddle to play with 🙂
I hope this post made your feel inspired and ready to throw your pet an amazing birthday or gotcha day party! Please share your other ideas or helpful hints in the comments below.
Season 6 ends with a bang as Holly and Victoria reveal two brand new releases that listeners will be able to enjoy.
Victoria and Holly chat about the Victoria Stilwell Academy and the latest news from the program. They also answer your most...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- VSA’s First UK Course Is Complete. Who’s Next...
- Why I’m Not (and never have been) a Purely...
- Why I Love VSA
- Introducing the Newly-Redesigned Positively...
- After Losing K-9 Partner to Cancer, Police Officer...