Dog Bite Prevention & Awareness Conferences
The Dog Bite Prevention and Awareness Conference presented by VSPDT (DBC) is a one or two-day multi-speaker seminar designed for and open to all animal industry professionals, child educators, shelter workers, medical professionals, first responders, police and animal control officers, lawyers, lawmakers, public safety professionals, delivery personnel, trainers and dog lovers.
The DBC is a one-of-a-kind learning experience featuring dynamic presentations from TV pet expert Victoria Stilwell, canine aggression expert Jim Crosby, Sarah Fisher, Daniel Mills, Grisha Stewart, Chirag Patel, attorney Claudine Wilkins and other leading canine behavioral experts.
- Understanding aggression
- Recognizing and interpreting canine body language
- The effect of punitive training methods on dogs
- Safe-handling of aggressive dogs
- What to do after a dog bites
- How to investigate a bite incident
- Understanding and enforcing dangerous dog laws
- Victims’ rights
- The inadequacies and inefficiencies of breed-specific legislation (BSL)
- Tips on keeping you and your family safe around dogs
- and more....
Find out how which breeds and age groups are most bite-prone and how bites can be prevented through education, awareness and humane training techniques.
For more information about presenting a Dog Bite Prevention Conference in your area, please contact Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Training here.
Sample Dog Bite Conference Presenters:
Victoria Stilwell is a world-renowned dog trainer, TV personality, author and public speaker best known as the star of the international hit TV series Greatest American Dog and It's Me or the Dog, through which she reaches audiences in over 50 countries. The torchbearer for force-free positive reinforcement dog training methods, Stilwell is the Editor-in-Chief of Positively.com, serves as the featured trainer for eHow Pets, and is the CEO of both Victoria Stilwell, Inc. and Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Training (VSPDT): the world’s premier global network of positive reinforcement dog trainers. A co-founder of the National Dog Bite Prevention Task Force, Stilwell is also committed to helping the cause of animal rescue and rehabilitation, working closely with organizations around the world to increase awareness about puppy mills, dogfighting, animal abuse, pet overpopulation, dog bite prevention, breed-specific legislation and other animal-related issues. Appearing frequently in the global media, Stilwell is widely recognized as a leader in the field of animal behavior and serves as a National Ambassador for the American Humane Association and is on the Advisory Boards of both RedRover and DogTV. She is also the CEO of the Victoria Stilwell Foundation, providing animal behavior expertise and funding to smaller rescue shelters and positive training-based canine assistance organizations. www.Positively.com
- Why Dogs Aggress and the Professional’s Role in Bite Prevention and Treatment
Topics covered include:
• Exploring Canine Aggression
• How Environment and Human Handling can Exacerbate Aggressive Response
• Reading Canine Body Language
• The Professional’s Role in Assessing Risk
• Dog Bite Levels and Intentions
• What Constitutes a Dangerous Dog?
• When is Re-homing versus Euthanasia Appropriate?
• Dog Bite Prevention through Education in Hospitals, Schools and in the Home
• The Shelter’s Role in Ensuring Safe Adoptions
• Puppy Mills, Pet Stores and Backyard Breeders – Educating the Public
James W. Crosby – CBCC-KA
Retired Police Lieutenant (Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, Jacksonville, FL), former Animal Control Division Manager, and professional dog trainer, James W. Crosby has invaluable experience and extensive insight to bring to the problem of dog attacks and dangerous dog issues. Jim consults with Animal Control and Law Enforcement Authorities on serious and fatal dog attacks, combining crime scene investigation, detailed interviews and dog evaluation to give a detailed behavioral analysis of the incidents. Jim is the author of the upcoming "Working the Worst: A Guide to Investigating Dog Related Fatalities," to be released mid-2013. canineaggression.blogspot.com
- Why dogs attack, the investigations surrounding fatal dog bites, and the need for behavior-based Dangerous Dog laws that apply equally for all breeds, rather than appearance-based laws that discriminate. Breed Specific Legislation is also discussed.
Joseph and Carrie Perk - Liam J. Perk Foundation
The Liam J. Perk Foundation was established in memory of 2-year old Liam. The Perk's ultimate goal is to bring awareness and education to communities throughout America and beyond. Helping parents and dog owners create safe and healthy environments for their children living with canines. They have partnered with the Cape Coral Community Foundation, a not for profit charitable organization that manages a number of endowed and gifted funds, to establish the Liam J. Perk Foundation. Working under the umbrella of the Cape Coral Community Foundation allows them to dedicate all of their time and efforts to accomplishing their mission while having established support staff in place. Their fundraising efforts are used for informational materials for distribution to pediatricians, veterinarians, schools, animal shelters and more. www.liamjperkfoundation.org
- The couple discusses their story in stages of a growing family and changing dynamics. Puppy to dog, play time to career time, the move from mountain life to suburb life, and babies to toddlers. A realistic look into a family whose love for a dog is shattered by a fatal bite to their 2-year old son, Liam. Also discussed: the establishment of the Liam J. Perk Foundation and the Let’s Talk Dog! Awareness sign created to bring awareness and education to communities throughout America and beyond.
Claudine Wilkins - Attorney, Animal Law
Claudine has practiced animal law since 1996. In 2011, she left her post as legislative counsel for Best Friends Animal Society and currently works with Homeless Pet Clubs, a non-profit that provides a voice for shelter animals through student, civic and business clubs. She field’s daily calls involving cases related to animals. She is a former prosecutor and civil attorney who founded the Animal Law Section of the Georgia Bar (2009). Areas of practice include legislation initiatives involving animals and public safety. She has been instrumental in many animal abuse cases and was recently involved in the forfeiture of 276 neglected animals in Georgia and 1,000 neglected animals in West Virginia. She drafted and lobbied the Georgia Felony Dog Fighting Law (2008) and the Responsible Dog Owner Act (2012). Her continuing efforts to draft legislation to protect animals and children have resulted in public safety laws and education programs.
- Statistics, highlight applicable cases, outline the local legal environment, how to begin and finish legislation and what must be done after legislation has been passed. Also discussed: how to create an awareness program for dog bite prevention and safety.
Exclusively in this podcast, you'll hear the firsthand account of Victoria's police dog bite accident: what happened, why it...
Victoria and Holly Firfer chat with Shannoncourt Pet Care founder Shannon Spooner about Victoria's upcoming seminar in Ontario.
Victoria and Holly close Season 5 with a discussion on a disturbing video of Rottweiler growling at a child that is persistently...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- After Losing K-9 Partner to Cancer, Police Officer...
- Police K-9 Officer Surprises Local Neighborhood...
- Police K-9 Officer “In the Right Place at...
- See the Victoria Stilwell Academy In Action!
- My Police Dog Bite Accident