Ten Dog Safety Tips for Autumn
The leaves are changing, the cool air is drifting in, and the dog days of summer are making way for a beautiful autumn. As the holiday season approaches, it's important to keep your dog happy, healthy, and safe.
Here are my top ten tips for keeping your dog safe over the fall months:
- Keep a collar and tags on your dog at all times. I recommend a PetHub tag for extra safety.
- Don't leave your dog unattended outside, especially during the cold winter months.
- Holidays usually mean lots of yummy food, but make sure you don't leave any food out on the counter within reach of your dog. Watch out for foods like chocolate, grapes, and raisins.
- Your busy holiday season can take a toll on your dog. Make sure you get him out for regular walks and playtime despite your jam-packed schedule.
- If you're planning on having guests over and have a dog that dashes when you open the door, teach him a "wait" cue.
- Keep your dog indoors on Halloween night. It may be a fun holiday for the kids, but it can end up being one traumatic evening for a dog.
- Don't forget your dog's monthly heartworm preventative; it's just as important in cooler weather.
- Watch your dog carefully in the snow. The ice in the snow can tear up a dog's paws.
- Put your kids' Halloween candy where your dog can't find it. That much chocolate could be seriously harmful to him if ingested.
- Dressing up your dog might look cute, but it can really stress out even the most patient of dogs. Save the costumes for the kids.
Follow these tips and you're sure to have a fabulous fall with your four-legged friends!
Victoria and Holly reconnect for a special holiday-themed episode of the Positively Podcast to recap the year in dogs, share the...
Holly stumps Victoria with an Animal Academy after Victoria recaps her skiing trip. Dr. Duffy Jones of Peachtree Hills Animal...
Holly introduces Victoria to After the Rapture, Victoria talks ski vacations, & Dr. Marty Becker (America's Vet) calls in to...
Articles from Victoria Stilwell
- Welcome to the New & Improved Positively.com!
- Arson Dogs
- Puppy Comforts Whimpering Senior Dog
- Top 5 Summertime Pet Safety Tips
- The Truth About Pit Bulls