HomeNewsBioMultimediaPressShopLinksContactForums    
Victoria Stilwell Forum Index Victoria Stilwell
The Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog will not stop barking when I leave

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Victoria Stilwell Forum Index -> Dog Trainer Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyCosita

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Dog will not stop barking when I leave Reply with quote

When I leave I put my maltese in her crate, but she will bark the whole time I am gone. It does not matter if I am gone for 10 seconds or 10 hours she will continue until I get back. I live in an appartment and tonight I had a very nasty note on my door because the other people in the building are tired of hearing her, I am now afraid that the office is going to be notified. Can anyone tell me how to keep her from barking the whole time I am gone?
DogzRule1996

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crate train her. This is separation anxiety. You could get a kong or a Marrow bone and put peanut butter inside and throw it in the crate with her so she will have something else to focus on. If she ignores it then crate train her. Put her in the crate and leave the room. Like if she is in the living room then go into the bathroom and out of sight. Wait a while. If she barks, say no, but don't show yourself. If she is quiet, then praise her and reward her and let her out for a while. You can increase the time you are out of sight as it progresses.

~12, DogzRule
Bella

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: constant barking when I leave the house Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem with my 7 mo old hound mix. I give her a kong or a bone to busy her. But as soon as she is done with it, the barking begins. I have 2 dogs and once one starts, they both go at it. The pup just doesn't stop which keeps the older dog going. My neighbors yell at me and I live on a dead end!!
I have tried doing the fake leave and come back to show I don't accept the barking, but it has not worked yet.
Any other suggestions?
onewaygo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a boring and full of energy dog is going to bark at any time.

because these interior body circumstances can make this behaviour.

so, before you leave, exercise dog, draw out its' energy and give it meal,

metabolism can make dog sleep.

(A tired dog always be a good dog)
Noobs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bella and MyCosita, how much exercise do your dogs get daily? Do you play mind games with them? How long are they left on average? MyCosita you said it doesn't matter how long but on average, do you leave your dog for a work day?

Bella, hound dogs bark, it's what they do. Make sure they're getting enough exercise, working their noses with tracking games, etc.

Check out the exercise thread. It's difficult to tell since we're not there if your dogs are suffering from separation anxiety or if they're just bored and underexercised. IF it's separation anxiety check out "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell.

onewaygo, you're giving lots of lectures but not much in the way of detailed advice. Just an observation.
onewaygo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noobs wrote:
Bella and MyCosita, how much exercise do your dogs get daily? Do you play mind games with them? How long are they left on average? MyCosita you said it doesn't matter how long but on average, do you leave your dog for a work day?

Bella, hound dogs bark, it's what they do. Make sure they're getting enough exercise, working their noses with tracking games, etc.

Check out the exercise thread. It's difficult to tell since we're not there if your dogs are suffering from separation anxiety or if they're just bored and underexercised. IF it's separation anxiety check out "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell.

onewaygo, you're giving lots of lectures but not much in the way of detailed advice. Just an observation.

Yes!

I do not have enough detail on owner and dog either.

So, that's why I prefer describe rough framework to detail advice.
Noobs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen all of your posts. Even on the ones that provide detail, you simply reply things like, "no respect, no training" and owner needs to be pack leader and other such things. Sorry Mods because I'm not in charge around here but that is neither encouraging nor helpful. People come here for help, not to be told they need to learn to be pack leaders. You've been asked to go to the guidelines and see what kind of philosophy this board promotes. What you're posting goes against that.

If you need help it's right here:

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1341
onewaygo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

To be pack leader does not mean impose many negative measures to dog.

I mentioned some positive measures such as long walk, game, food, etc.
Mattie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I have been very tempted to say this as well Noobs so you are not alone.

Onewaygo, when posting on these forums we have to be very clear what we are posting, owners come here from all over the world and like you English isn't their first language, sorry if I am wrong on this, your English is good, it is the way you put words together. Saying things like "Pack Leader" means nothing to them, we have to say what we mean.

Pack leader is very old fashioned now, things have moved on a lot since those days thank goodness. You can ask questions for more information, we all do that quite often.

"Long Walk", a 10 minute walk can be a long walk to some dogs but nothing to others, we need to be more specific. Breeds vary a lot with the amount of exercise they need.

Game, what game.

Food, what food, there is a very wide variety of dogs foods, some good some very bad, again we need to be more specific.

I am not having a go at you Onewaygo, just trying to say how we work here, we always welcome new people as we can learn a lot from them just as they can learn from us. The more we discuss the more we learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mattie. Obviously onewaygo, you have a lot to offer as your signature line indicates. But some owners who are coming here with problems need as much detail as possible and not just 2 or 3 sentences with no explanations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Victoria Stilwell Forum Index -> Dog Trainer Database All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: