How much??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sj96skittles

How much??

Post by sj96skittles »

If I feed my 2 border collies twice a day how much food should they get per day?
runlikethewind

Re: How much??

Post by runlikethewind »

That depends on the brand of food, how active your dogs are and how much they weigh. The food packaging will give you a guideline. Or are you feeding raw?
Julz

Post by Julz »

My dog get two meals a day...

Breakfast is half to 3/4 cup of biscuits and a teeny bit of wet to mix in.

Dinner is two cups of dry and a largish chunk of wet to mix in.

she's a GSD x Collie type pet, non working plays quite hard.

she's on JWB and natures menu wet
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Totally depends on the brand of food you feed, and the weight of your dog. Most good foods will have a feeding chart guideline on them. For example, I feed Arden Grange Sensitive, and Dylan weighs about 23.5kg...they recommend you feed between 263 and 309 grams a day, and I split this into 2 feeds a day. Obviously this is a guideline only, and can be adjusted, For example, I am currently feeding Dylan a little bit more as he doesnt put on weight easily and is very active, so he needs to put a bit on right now.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Look hard at your dogs before each feed. Feel them if you can't see their shape through their coat.

If they are thin, feed more, if fat, cut it down, if fine, the same as you fed last time.

It is honestly as easy as that. What you read on the dog food sack is a guideline only - you are feeding the real dog, so follow what the dog looks like rather than what the instructions say. We feed our families without instructions, and we can feed our dogs that way too. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS