And Yet Another Problem!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

And Yet Another Problem!

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Mia doesn't really have her yeast infections in her ears anymore but something else is bothering her. We are taking her in this week but i would still like to know if you had any ideas. So.. for a couple of weeks mia has been constantly licking her rear, after she does it, it smells :shock: . She is always doing this, i would like her to stop and get the problem fixed. Her rear end is a little pink but it looks fairly normal. Can you think of anything that could be wrong?
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

runlikethewind

Re: And Yet Another Problem!

Post by runlikethewind »

That sounds like 'normal' anal gland empyting. But it usually happens when the dogs poops (pooping empties the glands) or is scared. What are you feeding her please can I ask - a sloppy poop will result in an inability to empty the anal glands normally.
ChubbyPuppy74

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Right Now I'm feeding her authority, she was throwing up her last dog food and this was the only dog food my mom would buy. If you have any good dog food brands that you know of please let me know, if her food is the problem i want to switch her off of it.
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Hi there

I had to look up Authority (because I am from the UK). I found one review of it which is not perhaps the right version you feed but I doubt is has changed much. Corn, being a main ingredient, it is now commonly understood, is poorly digested by dogs.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 80&cat=all

This would be resulting in sloppy poops.. does she have these? I personally also had this problem with our pup - we had to empty his glands a couple of times manually before we setttled on a better diet. You can look this up on the net at how to do this but it's much easier to feed a food which hardens the poop instead!

If you are intent on feeding a dry food (kibble), I would suggest Orijen or Acana as two of your better brands in the US/Canada. Also Innova. EVO also do a lovely grain and rice free wet food which I wish we could get over here!

There are other diets - wet (canned) or raw but without understanding if you want to go down these routes, kibble is generally for those who want convenience but there are also lots of arguments against feeding a kibble.

In order for an immediate benefit to empty glands, try her with a couple of raw lamb ribs or chicken wing. This will provide bone content to harden up the poop and allow it to empty the glands upon passing through. Many people would advise against mixing a kibble and a raw bone but it's only a temporary measure. If you are really concerned about this, I know you seem to have been doing lots of trips to the vet, but you could see what the vet says. It is my understanding that a milky fluid could mean an infection (which would need vet assistance) whereas a browny clear liquid is normal.

I guess by her namesake - she is a chubby pup then?
ChubbyPuppy74

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Alright thank you, The one Mia eats the is the Lamb. Mia's poop is absoluty normal, it just she keeps licking down there.

Mia was a chubbypuppy when she was a pup, but her wrinkles have filled out.

runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Ok the fishy smell is normal by the way, but I'd see what the vet says as you are going anyway - in case it is an infection.