Have I Poisoned My Dog?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Julz

Have I Poisoned My Dog?

Post by Julz »

My dog Tara's Lady Bits are a bit sore looking.. red and swollen.. she's been licking it excessively for a few days now (vet appt booked) someone told me to put some nappy cream on.. so I have done, but I think she's licked it off. Since then she refused her dinner - though she did eat some of it later on. She deffinetly isnt herself... her heartrate and temp are normal......

Thoughts please?
Fundog

Re: Have I Poisoned My Dog?

Post by Fundog »

It really depends on what the ingredients of the nappy cream are, as there are so many different types and brands. There is Zinc Oxide (brand Desitin in the States), Neosporin, petroleum jelly (Vaseline), etc. Zinc Oxide really shouldn't cause any harm if accidentally licked off, petroleum jelly is harmless. Neosporin probably shouldn't be ingested; I think it is strictly for topical use only, but it is intended for cuts and scrapes, so really it shouldn't cause any harm in the mouth-- just tastes nasty.

I think rather than the cause of her feeling under the weather being from licking off the nappy cream, it is more to do with what is going on with her lady parts to begin with-- an infection, perhaps? Or could she be in season? I bet the vet appointment seems an eternity away, and that you feel it can't happen soon enough. :( Let us know what you find out.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Julz

Re: Have I Poisoned My Dog?

Post by Julz »

Thanks. The cream was Zinc and castor cream (i use it on pony's mudfever)

she's since eaten her breakfast.... yep the vet appt does seem an awfy long way off, but if it gets any worse, I'll be phoning for an earlier appt.. I hate seeing her uncomfortable :(

Meant to say not in season, she was dressed at 6months and is now nearly 6yrs. :)