My dogs won't stop eating snow

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

teejayjones

My dogs won't stop eating snow

Post by teejayjones »

Every time I take my dogs out all they want to do is eat the snow. My dog Jake wants to spend all of his time outside eating the snow but then after we have been outside for about 10 minutes he starts to limp because his feet are now cold. Is this normal or is it a sign of something being wrong. Both of my dogs also want to eat everything they can possibly eat. The are fed Nutro dog food, but someone mentioned that they may still have a deficiency. Could this be true with the snow too?
Nettle

Re: My dogs won't stop eating snow

Post by Nettle »

I think most dogs eat snow - mine certainly do. How about taking them for walks rather than just having them outside - then they can keep warm by exercising. My dogs love running in the snow.

As far as the eating everything available goes - that's normal for many breeds of dog too. I don't know anything about the dog food you mention, but I expect someone on here will. Can you list the ingredients?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
teejayjones

Post by teejayjones »

These are the ingredients for the Nutro dog food I am feeding them:

Ingredients - Weight Management Dry Kibble

Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Rice Bran, Chicken, Lamb Meal, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Pomegranate, Dried Blueberry, Dried Avocado, Dried Cranberry, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Carrot, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Sodium Selenite, Beta Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

I was told this is one of the best dry dog foods you can give them. They act like they are always hungry though. If I increase their food they will gain weight really quick. As for walking my dogs, I know I can do better with that. I am very good about walking them in warmer weather but slack off a bit during the colder days. I will try to walk them more often to see if they continue their snow feast. Thanks!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I used to feed my dogs on Nutro, but have switched them to Natural Balance limited ingredient to get the grains out of their diet. Nutro is better than the bargin brands, but there are other foods out there that are better than Nutro.

I don't know if my one dog eats snow exactly, but she certaintly has a good time digging in it with her face. :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.