Pet Sweater

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Pet Sweater

Post by Kalo »

Hi All,

I need some advise! Yesterday, Cuddles got her hair cut off. She had a THICK 2 inch coat.

I am taking her for a walk EARLY morning where it has been dropping to 37 degree. Next week it will be 47 degrees in the early morning.

So being that we cut her fleece off do you think I should get her a dog Sweater? She plays with her doggie friend and I am afraid she might over heat if she has one on.

Last night when comming home from the groomers, it dropped to 55 degrees, sun went down and it was dark. She was outside chasing birds, etc. SHE WAS NOT EVEN COLD.

Does is sound like I need to invest in a sweater even if I walk her in 45 to 47 degree weather?

Thanks,

Kalo
Nettle

Re: Pet Sweater

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't have thought she'd need one. Dogs are tougher than we think, and even a short coat is thick. There is much more danger of overheating, which can make them really ill.

However, if she hunches up and starts to shiver, test her ears and if they are very cold - so is she.

Mine were out in the snow at -7C today. Perfectly happy - and very little fur on any of them, as they have a light single coat of hair, no underfur at all.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Kalo

Re: Pet Sweater

Post by Kalo »

Thanks Nettle!!

I agree with the overheating, and even though Cuddles coat is cut down to an inch, I think she can handle the cold weather. Like I said I had her out at night and it was 55 degrees and she was fine!

I'll just bring the coat just incase and I'll do what you suggested and check to see if her ears are cold. Oh, and I always look for signs of shrivering and she has NOT done it yet.

Thanks again!

Kalo