Allergies

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Allergies

Post by Kalo »

Hi All,

A few weeks ago or so I posted about grass allergies that I think is affecting my Mom. Tomorrow we are going to the doctor to see why she is itching so much.

I've been walking Cuddles every other day at the Park, I make sure I wash her paws and comb her hair and still my Mom is itching like crazy!

I don't understand why she is itching now and not 6 months ago? I don't know what else to do, but, I am wondering if it the itching can also be Cuddles hair. She is a Cava Poo and her hair is about two inches long. Right now her hair is bushy. I am wondering if cutting her hair a little will help.

The other thing will be for me to stop walking her in the park :(

Does anyone else have anymore suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks Kalo!
Nettle

Re: Allergies

Post by Nettle »

It might be something completely different that is causing your Mom's allergy and nothing to do with Cuddles at all. What has changed in her life that it might be? Food, household cleaners, laundry products, could be anything or more than one thing.
Last edited by Nettle on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Yes as Nettle suggests it could be something else. It may also be your change of season. I don't know where you are ie season-wise but pollen which could be being brought in on the coat during Spring/Summer and not before. Your mum could even have developed a pollen allergy without the dog being the carrier of the pollen.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Hi Nettle & Runlikethewind!

I AGREE with what you are saying!!! My Mom eat's chocolate like crazy and my Dad suspected that might have been what is doing it. I don't know though, she has caught of chocolate for a week and still know results.

She did have surgery about two months ago, and I notice a month later that is when this happened. It could be a reaction to all the meds. she is on.

I'll talk to to the doctor tomorrow and she what he thinks. The only reason why I am little nervous is she did have an allergie test and they did find she was HIGHLY allergic to the grass. Funny at the time they did a test on her SHE HAD NO SYMPTONS.

The doc. just told me to brush the dog after the park. I still do it religously and also as stated wipe her pause.

Thanks for your help and support!

Kalo!
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

General info: If her hair is like a Poodle (doesn't ever shed, just grows), then a hair cut will be needed in the future since Poodle's hair grows forever if not cut. Since Cuddles is a cross, only you can judge what her hair is like.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Wicket wrote:General info: If her hair is like a Poodle (doesn't ever shed, just grows), then a hair cut will be needed in the future since Poodle's hair grows forever if not cut. Since Cuddles is a cross, only you can judge what her hair is like.
Wicket,

Cuddles's hair is WAVEY and is a cross mix between a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel and Poodle. She doesn't shed, however, her hair will keep growing.

In the Summer time we had her cut short and she looked CUTE!!! The last time we had her hair cut was July 2, and we have let it grown every since.

I think Cuddles likes is shorter...I am still thinking that maybe her long hair could be the culprit to my Mom's itch as well. We may have her hair cut a little shorter.

Thanks,

Kalo!
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Well, just got back from taking my Mom to the doctor, and he THINKS though not sure that its the park grass that is making my Mom allergic.

He gave her some pills, but I was asked not by my doctor, but, by the parents to stop walking her in the park :(

Thanks for the replies,

Kalo
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

When your parents feel receptive, suggest that as your Mom has the pills now you could carry on going to the park. What an awkward situation.

Is there another place you couild walk Cuddles?

Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Hi Nettle!

It is an awkard situation!

When we came home from the doctor, my Mom took the pill and guess what??? SHE IS STIIL ITCHING :(

I haven't taken Cuddles to the park in THREE whole days :?

So, now we are going to try taking her to the groomers and have her hair cut a little shorter. Something tells me that this couldn't be all the problem.

I would think that in the Summer time when I was taking Cuddles to the park EVERY DAY that the itching would of started then. Why now? The grass in the park is dying. It's NOT winter grass.

The only other thing I can think of is the City used to water the grass in the park every morning, and sometimes Cuddles paws would get wet. However, I would wash her paws and blow dry them. I would also comb her hair out EVERY DAY!

This is so fustrated because what I 've been doing now is playing ball with her in the backyard EVERY morning. That is when her energy is HIGH! But, it's not like the park where I would walk her one to two miles, and have her friend chow doggie friend play with her.

I'll keep everyone posted on the situation!

Thanks for the reply!

Kalo
Crunchie

Post by Crunchie »

Just to echo the awkward situation sentiment.

Sounds like there are a few factors, and it may very well have absolutely nothing to do with the park or Cuddles's hair. Obviously you're not happy about missing the park, and I'm sure Cuddles feels the same way. You know, sometimes when we get a particular idea about something, it can be hard to change our minds - and perhaps that's what's happened with your parents and the park grass causing the allergy.

In your shoes, I'd sit down with the parents and just have a discussion - "We need to get to the bottom of this skin allergy problem so that Mum isn't constantly uncomfortable." Then make a list of all the things you think could possibly be the cause of the irritation - park grass goes at the top of the list. Each thing on the list will be eliminated from your mother's environment for seven days. If she is still experiencing the irritation during and at the end of the seven days, that thing returns to the environment and you move on to the next thing. So, if after a week away from the park, your mother is still scratching, you and Cuddles are allowed to return to the park because it's been ruled out as a contributing factor. When you are eliminating Cuddles's hair from the environment, keep up the good work you've been doing with the grooming and vacuum frequently. However, I have to say I would think it strange for your mother to suddenly develop a contact allergy to an animal she's previously had no problems with. I developed hayfever after I got my shepherd, but unlike your dog, my shepherd sheds like a demon - I could make another dog from the hair that comes off her in a month. I get congested when I haven't vacuumed for a few days, but I don't have skin problems. Of course, the fact that it hasn't happened to me doesn't mean that it couldn't happen to your mother or anyone else, but just to cite an example, I guess.

When your mum had the allergy testing, do you know whether a particular type of grass was flagged? Just putting that out there because there are so many different types of grass. I mean, my kelpie is allergic to (amongst other things) paspalum grass, but she's absolutely fine with the regular buffalo and carpet that comprise my lawn. Is there grass in your backyard? What is it about this particular grass in the park that your parents feel is causing the allergy more than anything else?

Like you said as well, it seems strange that she's developed this symptom only after the surgery. Is it possible to find out whether her new medication could be contributing to the issue - not necessarily that she's allergic to it, but, say, it may cause skin sensitivity in some patients? Does your mum have a rash or visible sign of irritation, or is it just that she feels itchy? Just wondering how you might be able to narrow down the list of suspects, so that you can find a solution to the problem for both your mother and Cuddles's sakes. :)
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Hi Crunchie!

I really loved reading your post to my problem.

'We've shave Cuddles hair to less than 1 inch and when she comes back from the park I've continued with the grooming i.e. brushing, washing her paws, taking a damp cloth and washing her body and then going over it with baby wipes and even stopped walking her for four days and still no relief!

My Mom is now thinking its something else and it could be the bed sheets or the soap detergent! After doing the above Mom agreed that its not fair to Cuddles to deprive her from the park I am now able to take Cuddles for her walks and playtime in the park!

I think we'll go back to the doc and see what else it could be. However, I'll ask the doc. which grasses she is allergic too, plus the soap detergent!

Thanks,

Kalo
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ah, excellent! Well managed - enjoy your park again. :D