dog food minefield!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cece

dog food minefield!

Post by cece »

OK so Lauren is a 2 year old german shepherd cross flat coat retriever. I changed her food from a medium quality kibble to Orijen about two months ago. For the first month she did fantastic on it, much better firmer poop, less gas, and she would gobble it up every time. However we are now getting to the bottom of her second big bag and she doesn't seem to want it, also she has had diarrhea... we moved out of our place last week and I thought maybe the stress could be what's putting her off her food, or it could be that where we're staying at my mum's there is a cat and she's got hold of the cat's leftovers a couple of times, this could be causing the diarrhea?
In a week we are moving over to Greece for the winter, we will be driving over in our camper van, so I need to get stocked up with three months worth of food. I found some websites with a lot of people saying Orijen is too high protein and can cause liver/ kidney damage, that if you feed your dog these high protein foods you need to get regular liver checks done... have any of you fed your dogs on Orijen or similar foods long term?
Other brands I am considering are taste of the wild or Acana. I would love to put her on a raw diet but I don't know what I'll be able to get on the little Greek island, I'm veggie and wouldn't know te difference between a pig trotter and a cow's nose so with the language barrier it could be hard!
Its so confusing when there's so much information on the net conflicting !!!
ladybug1802

Re: dog food minefield!

Post by ladybug1802 »

I used to feed James Wellbeloved grain free food...it was OK but his poos were rather inconsistent. He is now on Arden Grange Sensitive and it is excellent! He does really well on it and he has been much less itchy as well. Have a look at their website....I can get you samples if you would like?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Orijen is about as good as you can get. I would suspect that the cat food/cat poop eating may be what has upset your dog, plus of course the shakeup in home circumstances.

The scare stories about liver/kidney damage are just that - scare stories. You won't find a shred of proof if you push these people for it. Why not check out the Orijen website and see what they have to say? :)

For freshness' sake, it might be a better plan to stock up with smaller bags than big sacks.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

If the high protein count is too much, Acana is made by the same company as Orijen but it has a lower protein content.