Panosteitis?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rennogsd1996

Panosteitis?

Post by rennogsd1996 »

When my 4 yr old neutered male, Hondo was two he suddenly lost alot of weight in about 10 days time, became listless, wouldn't eat. My vet diagnosed him with Panosteitis (growing pains) even though he was 2 and out of the typical age range. His body temp was 105, front leg joints swollen (the joint above his paws). He was hospitalized for a few days, given antibiotics, rimadyl and IV fluids and sent home on the Rimadyl and antibiotics. I often wonder if this was a misdiagnosis. He's not had any recurrences since then but occasionally gets rimadyl if he appears to have any discomfort (twice in a year's time usually when it rains). He does not appear stiff in his rear at all but only in those front joints. Nails are kept trimmed so they aren't causing any discomfort. At last vet visit (new vet) he weighed 104 lbs and I was told he was maybe 4-5 lbs overweight but other than that was normal.

anyone with any experience with this disorder please advise what you went through?

arsena & Hondo.
Mattie

Re: Panosteitis?

Post by Mattie »

Just done a search for this, this is what I found on the first site I went to http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2&aid=466

What causes panosteitis?
The cause of panosteitis is currently unknown. There have been many theories as to the cause of this disease. Originally, it was suspected that the disease was caused by a bacterial infection. However, several investigational studies failed to isolate any bacteria. In addition, the disease responds poorly to antibiotics, further suggesting a cause other than bacterial.

Other studies showed that if bone marrow from affected dogs was injected into the bones of healthy dogs, the healthy dogs would contract the disease. It has therefore been speculated that a virus may cause the disease. The high fever, tonsillitis, and altered white blood cell count would also go along with the viral theory. Another interesting twist to the viral theory is that panosteitis was first identified as a problem at the same time that modified live distemper vaccines became widely available on the market. Since wild distemper virus can be isolated from bone tissue, some researchers feel that there might be a link between distemper virus vaccine and panosteitis, however, more research in this area will need to be done before any serious speculations can be made.

Another theory is that panosteitis might have a genetic link. Because of the greatly increased incidence in certain breeds and families of dogs, it is very likely that there is a genetic component involved in this disease.

Lately, there have been some claims that nutrition, particularly protein and fat concentrations in the diet, may have an impact on the incidence of the disease. But here again, more research needs to be done to substantiate these claims. Most likely this is a multifactorial disease that has several different causes including viral, genetic, and possibly nutritional.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Ok, I am not on the pet owner side of this disease, rather the medical side. If this were my dog, I would definately stick with the new vet. :) Has your new vet done any x-ray work on your dog? This would show if he has arthritis.
Panosteitis, if present will present pronounced pain in the bone, (if you press on the bone, not the jointyour dog will feel it profoundly). For the actual disease, rimadyl or etodulac drug therapy are the usual treatment. True panosteitis comes and goes, but I am not aware to any links to barometric changes (rain). Panosteitis is most commonly a disease of dogs 2-14 months of age, sometimes rarely young adult dogs, there also seems to be a higher frequency of the disease in male dogs as compared to female. I think I would be sure that the new vet has x-rays on file for your dog, so that if things change with age, you can compare them. That's my 2 cents worth for you :D
rennogsd1996

Post by rennogsd1996 »

The new vet didn't do xrays but did do blood work, liver panel the works. nothing was abnormal. he felt his joints and observed his walking etc said he felt no swelling etc. and to be honest he's not had any trouble since the weather has warmed. We have an appt in two weeks to get his booster shots etc. I'll ask about the xrays then. Thank you very much for your replies :)

Arsena
Schwe

Post by Schwe »

Have you had your dog tested for TBD (tick borne diseases)? Lyme Disease causes joint pain and swelling.